- Also called
a single, basic unit of information, used in connection with
computers and information theory.
technology, a unit of information made up of
(often eight bits). The
memory capacity of a typical
runs from millions to billions of bytes.
- A unit of computer memory or data storage capacity equal to 1,024 (2
- A unit of computer memory or data storage capacity equal to 1,048,576 (2
- A unit of computer memory or data storage capacity equal to 1,024 megabytes (2
- An external
for communication between a computer and
over an inexpensive cable using
interface (although the 1394 standard also
interface). It is also known as
name, not to be confused with
camcorder tapes). It is a
, for high-
speed communications and
real-time data transfer, frequently used in a
- the collection of software that directs a computer's operations, controlling
and scheduling the execution of other programs, and managing storage, input/output, and
communication resources. Abbreviation: OS
- central processing unit: the key component of a computer system, which contains the
circuitry necessary to interpret and execute program instructions.
- computer memory available to the user for creating, loading, or running programs and for
the temporary storage and manipulation of data, in which time of access to each item is
independent of the storage sequence.
- computer memory in which program instructions, operating procedures, or other data are
permanently stored, generally on electronic chips during manufacture, and that ordinarily cannot
be changed by the user.
- the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical devices comprising a computer
system, as the CPU, disk drives, keyboard, or screen.
- the programs used to direct the operation of a computer, as well as documentation
giving instructions on how to use them.
- The basic unit of the composition of an image on a television screen, computer monitor, or
- A device, such as a keyboard, used to enter information into a computer.
- A device, such as a printer, video display, or speaker, that presents data from a
computer to a user.