According to the organizations official website the

This preview shows 2 out of 4 pages.

immigrants. According to the organization’s official website, the mission remains true to her original goals: to provide contraception and other health services to women and men; fund research on birth control and educate specialists and the public on the results; and advance access to family planning in the United States and around the world (Plannedparenthood.com). Planned Parenthood operates approximately 800 clinics that deliver health services, including abortions, all across the country. According to Erik Eckholm, the organization receives more than $75 million per year from Congress to support family planning services for low-income women. In addition, millions more are provided for sex education and indirectly to Medicaid and other federal programs (16). If the federal subsidy was completely eliminated, the resulting $75 million would not go a long way to decrease the $14 trillion deficit, although proponents claim that it would help reduce national health care costs. While it is illegal for federal funds to be specifically used for abortions, pro-life advocates claim that Planned Parenthood uses federal subsidies for abortion services indirectly,
Image of page 2

Subscribe to view the full document.

since the organization receives monies earmarked for other specific health services but performs abortions at the same time (O’Bannon, Randall K. 11). Funds used to pay Planned Parenthood staff and to promote the organization come from federal subsidies, at least in part, claims O’Bannon. According to Planned Parenthood, however, federal monies are used for other services such as STD testing and treatment, HIV/AIDS testing and counseling, contraception and family planning services, cancer screening, general health care and even men’s sexual health. According to Nancy Gibbs, abortion services constitute only about 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services, while other services make up the other 97% (66). If the subsidy was reduced by that percentage, a 3% reduction would only result in about $2,250,000 in federal savings. In other words, not enough to make much of a dent in the federal deficit. The landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade decision made it possible for women to seek termination of unwanted pregnancies legally in this country. Prior to this decision, women turned to illegal, often unsafe, avenues to end pregnancies. According to some researchers, during the period of time that abortions were illegal hundreds of thousands of women sought abortion from unqualified providers in unsanitary conditions, with estimates that as many as 78,000 deaths occurred annually as a result (Lee and Sprague 2). Other outcomes were self-induced miscarriages with complications that potentially included infection, hemorrhage and infertility. Lee and Sprague point out that “statistics indicate that restricting access to abortion does nothing to reduce the number of abortions that take place; instead it causes major health risks and discriminates against the poor” (1). With access to abortion services restricted, a return to that scenario is possible. The services provided by Planned Parenthood include legal and safe abortion services as well as education about family planning and contraception and should continue to be funded by federal subsidy.
Image of page 3
Image of page 4
You've reached the end of this preview.
  • Spring '07
  • Salcedo
  • planned parenthood organization

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern