Which is called a cultural lag Cultural lag population boom Theyre still stuck

Which is called a cultural lag cultural lag

This preview shows page 4 - 5 out of 5 pages.

Which is called a cultural lag. Cultural lag = population boom They’re still stuck even in the mature industrial phase is in the early part of stage three. They’re still stuck in the mindset that life is like it was a long time ago. Things are starting to change culturally. Sum up: birth rates decrease rapidly, death rates are decreasing but much slower Overall population is still increasing but not as quickly as it was back in stage two. Fertility plummets and infant mortalities are very low. Longevity increases because of advances in medical technology. Stage three societies example : Fairly diverse. Early stage three and a late stage three state. So if a state has a lot of farmers still, and a lot of people in industrial capacity or working in factories, and family size is still high. This will be early stage three. Like parts of Africa, Asia, central Asia, middle east Late stage three example: Argentina, Brazil, Turkey, South Africa. Not quite as rich as some western European or American states. China is getting there.
Image of page 4
China may have been pushed to stage four. STAGE FOUR: Post industrial Nobody’s in farming anymore. In American, 2% are farmers. They provide food for the other 98%. Very few working in coal mines Decreased industrialized work too Working in service sector, in sales, IT, teachers, civil servants Overwhelmingly urban settings. 70% to 90% of people live in a city or sized town or city. Highest level of technology. Where new technologies or being invented and created and modified. Rates pretty much meet each other. Both birth and death rates per thousand are very low Overall population is stable. Stabilized high. It’s a high population total, but its not really growing. It’s not exploding anymore. Slowly growing. Fertility are very low Longevity are increasingly higher and higher and higher. Countries example: USA, UK, UAE in the middle east, Singapore, Australia QUESTIONABLE STAGE 5: death rates are death rates. Birth rates are getting lower than the death rates. Death rates are higher than the birth rate. Which is important because that means the total population is getting smaller. It’s shrinking every year. Countries that don’t want kids are Russia, japan, Italy. Many western European countries have birth rates that are below the death rates in their country. SUMMING UP: In stage one, total population is low, but quickly explodes in stage two. Starts to taper off but still growing in stage three and stabilizes, flatlines in stage four, but flatlines at a very high number. And in possible stage five, total population will start to go down. What else happens over the course of this demographic transition? Things that increase from stage one through stage five. They are increasing in urbanization rates, industrial, education, health care, technology , life expectancy Pre-modern to post-industrial, you have decreasing infant mortality and decreasing fertility rate.
Image of page 5

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 5 pages?

  • Fall '08
  • JDBOYER
  • Demography, fertility rate

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture