Thread question 17 advantages and disadvantages of

This preview shows page 16 - 19 out of 26 pages.

Thread: Question #17 - Advantages and Disadvantages of Workers Repairing Their Own Machines Post: RE: Question #17 - Advantages and Disadvantages of Workers Repairing Their Own Machines Author: Posted Date: November 11, 2017 4:28 PM Status: Published Jonathan Fye Great points here Faye. I completely agree that allowing a worker to performance maintenance on their own machine will help to deepen the knowledge of the machine. With
11/21/2017 Collection – MBA675-T301 Operations & Logistics in the (... (Post is Unread) this deeper knowledge employees may be able to spot issues earlier and address them in a timely manner which could ultimately save the company money. I also agree that if you wish to have employees work on their own machines then extensive training is likely needed to ensure that employees have su´cient knowledge to address issues. I think that you have a great real life example here with the printer as some minor issues can be addressed by employees while more complex issues are handed o² to experts. J Fye Thread: Question 18 Post: RE: Question 18 Author: Posted Date: November 11, 2017 4:23 PM Status: Published (Post is Unread) Jonathan Fye Scott I think that you have an excellent response to this question. It's very important that it is explained to the manager that the cost is maintenance is likely signi³cantly less than the cost of an unscheduled interruption of service due to a breakdown. You have an excellent real iife example of the potential consequences of ignored preventive maintenance in the co²ee machine at Starbucks. An example that i have used is the cost of an oil change relative to replacing an engine in a car. This is scheduled down time at a cost but prolongs the life of the asset rather than ignoring the maintenance and shortening the life of the asset. J Fye Thread: Question 18 Post: Question 18 Author: Posted Date: November 11, 2017 3:21 PM Status: Published Scott Goodman-Wismont 18. Suppose your manager does not like preventive maintenance (PM) and says "why fix it before it breaks?" How would you respond to this comment? Develop and illustrate a position that would answer his question.
17/26
11/21/2017 Collection – MBA675-T301 Operations & Logistics in the (... 18/26 (Post is Unread) store had a Starbucks trainer show one team leader how to clean the machine and they were expected to train the rest of the team so that it would be completed at the end of each day. After a few months of quick turn over of leadership for the Starbucks (moving team leaders around frequently) no one knew how to complete the required cleaning. A Starbucks regional manager came to the store and stressed the importance of everyone who works with the machine to know how to clean it, but the store manager choose to take the cheap way out and only train the team leader once again. True to form for the store the team leaders shifted again and about six months later of the machine being ignored it ³nally was beyond redemption and needed to be replaced. The cost of replacing the machine was slightly over $15,000 while training the team how to correctly maintain the machine would have been an hour per employee and 30 minutes each night. Another example of the importance of regular maintenance is on a cruise ship. A new cruise ship has an expected lifetime of about 30 years of service, but to be used for the full 30

• Left Quote Icon

Student Picture

• Left Quote Icon

Student Picture

• Left Quote Icon

Student Picture