industrys value has increased in 2004 the volume sales of carbonated soft

Industrys value has increased in 2004 the volume

This preview shows page 9 - 11 out of 40 pages.

industry’s value has increased in 2004, the volume sales of carbonated soft drinks has declined due to a large proportion of consumers who are the trend towards healthier alternatives in the functional drink segment (energy drinks, smoothies, milk and juice drinks, sports drinks) as well as bottle juices and water. Companies have been actively engaged in new product developments in order to counter the growing concerns about negative health impacts of high-fructose drinks, but also to increase the demand in a market where product offerings are quickly maturing. New flavour introductions and health-conscious formulation have been launched in an attempt to offset the decline in carbonated soft drink sales. The functional market expected to show sustained growth and consumer interest in the future years as consumption shifts to trendier, healthier and more sophisticated products. Profitability & future growth potential : In 1993, Concentrate Producers earned 29% pretext profits on their sales, while bottlers earned 9% profits on their sales, for a total industry profitability of 14%. While the functional drinks sector only accounts for 3.7% of the total soft drinks sales in 2004, estimates are forecasting a growth 7.3% in sales and 11.0% in volume consumption by 2009. 9
Image of page 9
The markets where Coke is a dominant player are United States of America, Europe and Asia, Africa. There is a vast difference in terms of above given phases for example, in U.S.A & Europe it has reached maturity stage where it can’t expand its market more but if we consider Asia, it is still in the growth phase. Coca-Cola is currently going through the maturity stage in Western countries. This maturity stage lasts longer than all other stages. Management has to pay special attention to products during this stage of the product life-cycle. During the maturity stage, products usually go through a slowdown in sales growth. According to Coca- Cola's 2001 annual report, sales have increased by 1.02% compared to last year. This percentage has no comparison to the high level of growth Coca-Cola enjoyed during its growth stage. To add a little variation Coca-Cola took the Coca-Cola Classic and added variations to it, including Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke and Diet Coke. Also Coca-Cola went from 6-oz. glass bottles to 8-oz. cans to plastic litter bottles, all helping increase consumption. Market Characteristic: Like any company who has successfully endured a century of existence, Coca- Cola Amatil has had to remain tremendously fluent with their pricing strategy. They have had the privilege of a worthy competitor constantly driving them to be smarter, faster, and better. A quote from Pepsi Co's CEO "The more successful they are, the sharper we have to be.. This low price strategy was not unfamiliar to Coca-Col Amatil. Both Coke & Pepsi utilized a low price strategy in the early 1990s. After annihilating the low price store brands, Coke chose to reposition itself as a "Premium" brand and then raise prices. Coca-Cola products would appear, on the shelf, to have the most expensive range of soft drinks common to supermarkets, at almost double the cost of no name brands. This can be for several reasons apart from just to
Image of page 10
Image of page 11

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 40 pages?

  • One '19
  • Marketing, The Coca-Cola Company, Coca-Cola Amatil

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture