Thread question 18 post re question 18 author posted

• Bellevue University
  • MBA 675
  • Homework Help
  • BellevueRebel
  • 93% (15) 14 out of 15 people found this document helpful

This preview shows page 28 - 30 out of 34 pages.

Thread: Question 18 Post: RE: Question 18 Author: Posted Date: December 12, 2015 5:41 PM Status: Published (Post is Read) Here is the source for my post: ; japan.com/scm­terminology/mto­make­to­order.html Ericka Hunter Thread: Question 18 Post: RE: Question 18 Author: Posted Date: December 13, 2015 10:36 PM Status: Published Even though there is a focus this week on product customization, it seems to me that by and large, most products are made ­ to ­ stock. Walmart does not leave a whole lot of leeway for customization; everything from furniture to shampoo is ordered, stocked and ready to purchase in an instant. In fact, they have built a whole business model on getting mass quantities of items available at any given time. Most clothing retailers ­ the JCPenny's and Kohls, and Bloomingdale's and H&Ms of the world have mass produced quantities of clothing. To be honest, I don't really see customization coming along as any kind of major trend. The Dell ­ type customization, where customers can order computers with various combinations of parts and accessories seems like an assemble ­ to ­ order type product. The benefit with this is that even though inventory is on hand, the same inventory can likely be used for the mass­produced items Sue Smithee
2/21/2016 Collection – MBA675­T303 Operations & Logistics in the (... ; 29/34 (Post is Read) made­to­stock. On the other hand made ­ to ­ order seems like it is fully customized. These items are presumably the most expensive because an entire manufacturing process from design all the way to finish has to be undertaken for each product. Thread: Question 18 Post: RE: Question 18 Author: Posted Date: December 14, 2015 9:28 PM Status: Published (Post is Read) Ericka, Thanks for posting. I agree with the descriptions you provided for each of the strategies. Stores that are selling made­to­order products will not carry a quantity in stock, so there will be a delay time for the customer when making the purchase. The supplier will need to make the product after receiving the customized order. As you mentioned, assemble­to­order products still allow for minimal customization. The store will not carry a quantity in stock. The supplier will need to assemble the product after receiving the order, but the delay time should be less. Make­to­stock products are kept in stock at the store, with a quantity available for the customer to purchase with no delay. Make­to­stock orders may be shipped from the supplier to the store on a regular basis. For example, a supplier may ship the same quantity of groceries to a grocery store on a weekly basis. The orders will likely not change ­ except for seasonal foods/items.

• Left Quote Icon

Student Picture

• Left Quote Icon

Student Picture

• Left Quote Icon

Student Picture