4. How and why did changes in wartime affect democracy, the European state system, and the balance of power?
5. How did the concept of balance of power emerge, develop, and eventually become institutionalized?
1. What forms have family, class, and social groups taken in European history, and how have they changed over time?
2. How and why have tensions arisen between the individual and society over the course of European history?
1. Complete the Reading Notes below.
2. For each subheading (purple headings in the text), write 1-3 GIST Summaries.
a. Gist is a word that means “the essence.” A GIST Summary conveys the meaning of the scientific concept, event, experiment, or theory without including all of the details. When you can summarize the main points in your own words, you are one step closer to mastery of the concept.
b. A GIST Summary must abide by the following rules (or as closely as possible):
i. The summary must summarize the passage you read in 20 WORDS OR LESS.
ii. The summary should address one, or more, of the Overarching Thematic Questions for APEH.
iii. The summary should address as many of the 5 Ws (who, what, where, when, and why) as possible.
3. Do not forget to add your theme abbreviation to your notes so that you can remind yourself which of the themes your GIST Summary addresses.
The Beginning of the Revolutionary Era: The American Revolution
Subheading GIST Summary(ies) APEH Theme(s) The War for Independence
Forming a New Nation
Impact of the American Revolution on Europe
Background to the French Revolution
Subheading GIST Summary(ies) APEH Theme(s) Social Structure of the Old
Other Problems Facing the
The French Revolution
Subheading GIST Summary(ies) APEH Theme(s) From Estates-General to
Destruction of the Old Regime
The Radical Revolution
Reaction and the Directory
You've reached the end of your free preview.
Want to read all 9 pages?