5 significance level there is not sufficient evidence

This preview shows 3 out of 5 pages.

5% significance level, there is not sufficient evidence to infer that there is a relationship between annual profit and the number of rooms. QUESTION 2:
Image of page 3

Subscribe to view the full document.

A) Estimate with 95% confidence the mean profit for hotels with 200 rooms. *Because we want to estimate mean profit given an average value of 200 rooms, we will use the confidence interval estimator equation. *Significance level is 5%, divided by 2 is 2.5% or 0.025 ŷ +/- t (α/2, v) x s ε square root [ 1/n + (x g – x) ̄ 2 /(n-1)s 2 x ] *where ŷ = b 0 + b 1 x g and v= n-2 and x g = the interested value which is 200 t (0.025, 8) = 2.306 ŷ= 13.1356 + 0.03860(200)= 20.8556 20.8556 +/- 2.306 x 4.0851 square root [ 1/10 + (200- 242.6) 2 /(10-1)825.3778 ] 20.8556 +/- 5.5275 Lower limit = 15.3281 or $15328100 (in millions). Upper limit = 26.3831 or $26383100 (in millions). B) Suppose that a hotel has 200 rooms. Predict with 90% confidence the profit in that year. *Since we are predicting profit for one year given a specific value of rooms which is 200, we will use the prediction interval estimator. *Significance level is 10%, divided by 2 is 5% or 0.05 ŷ +/- t (α/2, v) x s ε square root [ 1+ 1/n + (x g – x) ̄ 2 /(n-1)s 2 x ] *where ŷ = b 0 + b 1 x g and v= n-2 and x g = the interested value which is 200 t (0.05, 8) = 1.860 ŷ= 13.1356 + 0.03860(200)= 20.8556 20.8556 +/- 1.860 x 4.0851 square root [ 1 + 1/10 + (200- 242.6) 2 /(10-1)825.3778 ] 20.8556 +/- 8.8098 Lower limit = 12.0458 or $ 12045800 (in millions). Upper limit = 29.6654 or $ 29665400 (in millions). C) What can you say about the suitability of this model and the available data on the quality of the estimations made in parts (a) and (b) in Question 2? - We can conduct a variety of tests to assess this model and determine whether a relationship exists between annual profit and the number of rooms. First we will look at the standard error of estimate. If sε / x 100 is less than 15%, then this is an excellent model. ӯ SSE= (n-1)[s2y-sxy2/s2x] = 9 [16.0644 – (31.86672/825.3778)]= 133.5066 sε= square root of SSE/n-2 = square root of 133.5066/8 = 4.0851 sε / x 100 = 4.0851/22.5 x 100 = 18.16% ӯ Since it is slightly above 15%, it can be argued that the model is good. Second we look at the coefficient of Determination
Image of page 4
R 2 = sxy 2 / s 2 x s 2 y = 31.86672/ (825.3778)(16.0644) = 0.0765. R 2 ranges from the values 0 to 1, where the closer the value is to 1, the more impact the number of rooms has on profit. If the value is closer to zero, the less impact the number of rooms has on profit. R 2 has a value of 0.0765 which means that 7.65% of variation of profits is explained by variation in the number of rooms. The remaining 92.35% is unexplained due to error.
Image of page 5
You've reached the end of this preview.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern