14. Jacob’s Baby Food Company must go through the following steps to make mashed carrots: (1) unload carrots from truck; (2) inspect carrots; (3) weigh carrots; (4) move to storage; (5) wait until needed; (6) move to washer; (7) boil in water; (8) mash carrots; (9) inspect. Draw a process flow diagram for these steps.
15. Draw a process flow diagram of your last doctor’s office visit. Identify bottlenecks. Did any activities occur in parallel?
16. Oakwood Outpatient Clinic is analyzing its operation in an effort to improve performance. The clinic estimates that a patient spends on average 3.5 hours at the facility. The amount of time the patient is in contact with staff (i.e., physicians, nurses, office staff, lab technicians) is estimated at 40 minutes. On average the facility sees 42 patients per day. Their standard has been 40 patients per day. Determine process velocity and efficiency for the clinic.
17. Oakwood Outpatient Clinic rents a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine for 30 hours a month for use on its patients. Last month the machine was used 28 hours out of the month. What was machine utilization?
18. Mop and Broom Manufacturing estimates that it takes 4.5 hours for each broom to be produced, from raw materials to final product. An evaluation of the process reveals that the amount of time spent working on the product is 3 hours. Determine process velocity.