28. William was doing a class report on asthma and learned that several factors may
contribute to its development, including _____.
29. The belief that children's immune systems need to be exposed to viruses and bacteria in
order to strengthen them, but that children are overprotected from this exposure, is
called the _____.
sterile environment theory
30. With respect to asthma, the hygiene hypothesis is supported by data showing that
31. Which child is at higher risk for developing asthma?
32. Borrelli et al. (2010) conducted an intervention study that focused on 133 Latino
caregivers of children with asthma. The caregivers smoked and did not necessarily want
to quit. Over the course of the study the caregivers were shown the amount of smoke the
children were being exposed to and were counseled on different approaches to quitting
smoking. After three months, the results of the study revealed that _____ of the
caregivers had quit smoking and the children's asthma attacks were less frequent.