individuals. This not only demonstrates respect, but also helps you to better understand the importance of
these titles to the people concerned.
- Ancestors are from Asia.
– Mainly nomadic and thrived mostly through hunting and food gathering.
– Aboriginal Dreaming stories feature the Rainbow Serpent, who is the creator and protector of the land.
– A majority of Aboriginal Australians spoke/speak Pama-Nyungan languages.
Torres Strait Islander People.
– Ancestors are from Melanesia and Papa New Guinea.
– Engaged in seafaring and trade with the neighbouring islands, and although they thrived on hunting and
food-gathering, they also excelled in agriculture.
– Torres Strait Islanders’ Dreaming stories feature the Tagai, or warrior, and their stories are focused on the
stars and sky.
– Torres Strait Islander spoke/speak Kala Lagaw Ya and Meriam Mir
ways an education and care service can celebrate the culture of Aboriginal
and Torres Strait Islanders.
11) Answer the following questions in relation to European settlement in Australia. You
may like to refer to the reading ‘
Australia: A national overview: Resource sheet
’ to assist you
with this task.