Graded according to severity first degree burn

This preview shows page 12 - 14 out of 14 pages.

-Graded according to severity:-First-Degree Burn- involves only the epidermis. Mild pain and erythema (redness) but no blisters. Skin function remains intact. Flush with cold water to lessen pain and reduce damage. Healing will occur usually in 3-6 days and may flake or peel. (ex: mild sunburn)-Second-Degree Burn-destroys the epidermis and part of the dermis. Some skin functions are lost. Redness, blister formation, edema, and pain result. In a blister, the epidermis separates from the dermis due to the accumulation of tissue fluid between them. Hair follicles, sebaceous glands, and sweat glands are usually not injured. If there is no infection, second-degree burns heal without skin grafting in about 3-4 weeks. Scaring may result. First and second degree burns are collectively called partial-thickness burns-Third-Degree Burn-or full-thickness burn- destroys the epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous layer. Most skin functions are lost. Varry in appearance from marble-white to mahogany colored, to charred, dry wounds. -marked edema, and burned region is numb because sensory nerve endings have been destroyed.
-regeneration occurs slowly, and much granulation tissue forms before being covered by epithelium. Skin grafting may be required to promote healing and to minimize scarring-The injury to the skin tissues directly in contact with the damaging agent is the local effectof a burn-Generally, however, the systemic effectsof a major burn are a greater threat to life. They may include: 1. A large loss of water, plasma, and plasma proteins, which causes shock; 2. Bacterial infection; 3. Reduced circulation of blood; 4. Decreased production of urine; and 5. Diminished immune response.-seriousness of a burn is determined by its depth and extent of area involved as well as a persons age and health.-major burns include third-degree burns over 10% of body surface area, or second- degree burns over 25% of body surface area, or any third-degree burns on the face, hands, feet, or perineum (the anal and urogenital regions). When the burn area exceeds 70% , more than half the victims die. -A quick means for estimating the surface area affected by a burn in an adult is the rule of nines:1. Count 9% if both the anterior and posterior surfaces of the head and neck are affected2. Count 9% for both the anterior and posterior surfaces of each upper limb (total of 18% for both upper limbs)3. Count four times nine, or 36% for both the anterior and posterior surfaces of the trunk, including the buttocks.4. Count 9% for the anterior and 9% for the posterior surfaces of each lower limb as far up as the buttocks (total of 36% for both lower limbs)5. Count 1% for the perineum.<-A tissue engineered product called Intra Dermal Regeneration Template (DRT) is available for those with deep partial thickness or full-thickness burns where there is not sufficient autograft. It is designed to promote organized regeneration of the dermis while providing a protective barrier against fluid loss and microbes.

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture