Physical Science 8th grade (1).pdf

The law of conservation of energy says that energy

Info icon This preview shows pages 71–73. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
The law of conservation of energy says that energy can never be created or destroyed, just converted from one form into another. The law of conservation of energy applies to all forms of energy, including potential energy, kinetic energy, and chemical energy. Energy can never be created or destroyed, just converted from one form into another. Energy transformations Although it cannot be destroyed, energy can be transformed easily between its different forms. The diagram in Figure 3.14 shows the energy transformations that produce the electrical energy you use. Energy from water and wind Many parts of California get energy from water and wind. In hydroelectric power, energy is released by falling water. The potential energy of the water is converted into electrical energy. In wind power, the kinetic energy in moving air is converted into electrical energy. Chemical energy Chemical energy is energy that is stored in the bonding forces between atoms. Chemical reactions may use or release chemical energy. A car engine converts about 13 percent of the chemical energy in gasoline into kinetic energy of the moving car. Much of the remaining 87 percent of the energy in the gasoline becomes heat in the exhaust gases and radiator. Figure 3.14: .The electricity in your wall outlets at home carries energy that has been transformed several times before becoming electrical energy.
Image of page 71

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon