38) On the issue of the tariff, President Grover Cleveland
a. supported high ratesb. advocated a lower ratec. had no opiniond. followed the advice of his party
39) The major campaign issue of the 1888 presidential election was
40) In the latter decades of the nineteenth century, it was generally true that the locus of political power was
YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO ANSWER ANY OF THE ESSAY QUESTIONS BELOW IN ORDER TO RECEIVE BONUS POINTS ON YOUR TEST. NEVERTHELESS, WHEN YOU STUDY, YOU MAY WANT TO SELECT ONE TO PRACTICE YOUR WRITING. GIVE YOURSELF A TIME LIMIT. REMEMBER ON THE AP TEST, YOU HAVE 30 MINUTES TO WRITE A COMPLETE ESSAY.ESSAY QUESTIONS
1) Compare and contrast the Democratic and Republican parties of the late 1800s in terms of
a. their leadershipb. their position on issuesc. the constituencies2) Why did late-nineteenth-century presidential elections tend to focus on the personalities of the candidates rather than on "real" issues3) List what appear to you to have been the requirements for election to high political office in the 1870s and 1880s
4) For one of only a few times in its history, the treasury showed a surplus in the 1880s. Why was this a problem?