Course Hero Logo

The skeletal system serves as a framework for tissues

Course Hero uses AI to attempt to automatically extract content from documents to surface to you and others so you can study better, e.g., in search results, to enrich docs, and more. This preview shows page 18 - 19 out of 26 pages.

The skeletal system serves as a framework for tissues and organs toattach themselves to. This system acts asa protective structure forvital organs. Major examples of this are the brain being protected bythe skull and the lungs being protected by the rib cage. Located in long bones are two distinctions of bonemarrow (yellow and red). The yellow marrow has fatty connective tissue and is found in themarrow cavity. During starvation, the body uses the fat in yellow marrow for energy. [8] The red marrow ofsome bones is an important site for blood cell production, approximately 2.6 million red blood cells persecond in order to replace existing cells that have been destroyed by the liver. [5]Hereall erythrocytes, platelets, and most leukocytes form in adults. From the red marrow, erythrocytes, platelets,and leukocytes migrate to the blood to do their special tasks. Another function of bones is the storage ofcertain minerals. Calcium and phosphorus are among the main minerals being stored. The importance of thisstorage "device" helps to regulate mineral balance in the bloodstream. When the fluctuationof minerals is high, these minerals are stored in bone; when it is low it will be withdrawn from the bone. Atendon is a tough, flexible band of fibrous connective tissue that connects muscles to bones. [13] The extra-cellular connective tissue between muscle fibers binds to tendons at the distal and proximal ends, and thetendon binds to the periosteum ofindividual bones at the muscle's origin and insertion. As musclescontract, tendons transmit the forces to the relatively rigid bones, pulling on them and causing movement.Tendons can stretch substantially, allowing them to function as springs during locomotion, thereby savingenergy.Supply the missing words. Choose your answers in the box .Muscles Smooth MuscularCardiac PairsThe ______system consist of all muscles in the body. Muscles have three kinds:______,______ and skeletal.Muscles always work in _____.If one muscle contracts the opposite relaxes. _______help the body move anddo work. Good food, exercise, rest, and good posture are necessary to make muscles strong and healthy.IV. Assignment:Write SM if the statement pertains to smooth muscles, CA if cardiac muscles andSK if skeletal muscles._____1. These are muscles found only in heart.--------2. They are striated and involuntary.--------3. They are striated and voluntary.--------4. They are muscles of internal organs.--------5. The muscle cell of this type contains only one nucleus.Our skin is next to the kidneys in importance as an organ of excretion. It eliminates fluid daily in the form ofsweat or perspiration. Sweat is ninety-nine percent (99%) water. The remaining 1 percent is sodium chlorideand a small amount of organic wastes, giving it a characteristic smell. The sweat glands of the skin get rid ofsweat as waste product. Each sweat gland has a much-twisted section observed to be in close contact with theblood vessels. Wastes diffuse from the capillaries into the sweat glands. Here they find their way out throughthe pores as sweat.Sweat helps in the regulation of our body temperature. The body functions well at the18

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

End of preview. Want to read all 26 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Term
Spring
Professor
NoProfessor
Tags

Newly uploaded documents

Show More

Newly uploaded documents

Show More

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture