ISIT102_Autumn2013_Lectures_isit102-fall2013-acquiring_IS (1)

British telecom justifies its applications n after

This preview shows page 25 - 37 out of 64 pages.

British telecom justifies its applications n After one year, n Everything the company does has an ROI n The company IT costs decreased by 20% n The IS group doubled the amount of work it completes every year. n Customer satisfaction increased from 65% to 80% n The credibility of the IS function increased significantly across the company
Image of page 25

Subscribe to view the full document.

12.3 Strategies for Acquiring IT Applications n Buy the applications (off-the-shelf approach) n Lease the applications n Software-as-a-Service n Use Open-Source Software n Outsourcing n Developing the applications in-house
Image of page 26
12.3 Strategies for Acquiring IT Applications A. Buy the applications (off-the-shelf approach) B. Lease the applications n Application installed on client premises n Application service provider n Software-as-a-service C. Use Open-Source Software D. Software-as-a-service E. Developing the applications in-house
Image of page 27

Subscribe to view the full document.

Image of page 28
Leasing and the 80/20 rule n Software vendors include the features that are most commonly needed by organization in a given industry n Some packages may not fit your organization application requirements n 80/20 rule: n If the software meets 80% of the company needs, then the company should changing its business processes so it can utilize the remaining 20%.
Image of page 29

Subscribe to view the full document.

Application service provider n An application service provider n is an agent or a vendor who assembles the software needed by enterprises n and packages the software with services such as development, operations, and maintenance. n Customer access these applications via internet n Software-as-a-Service n is a method of delivering software in which a vendor hosts the applications n and provides them as a service to customers over a network, typically the Internet. n Outsourcing n is acquiring IT applications from external contractors or organizations.
Image of page 30
Operation of an Application Service Provider (ASP) ASP Data Center Customer A Application Customer B Application Customer C Application Database Database Database
Image of page 31

Subscribe to view the full document.

Operation of a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) Vendor SaaS Vendor Data Center Customer A Customer B Customer C Customer A Customer B Customer C Application
Image of page 32
12.4 Traditional Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) n (SDLC) is the traditional systems development method that organizations use for large-scale IT projects. n SDLC processes are 1. systems investigation, 2. systems analysis, 3. systems design, 4. programming, 5. testing, 6. implementation, 7. operation 8. and maintenance. n Waterfall approach is when tasks in one phase are completed before the work proceeds to the next stage.
Image of page 33

Subscribe to view the full document.

Traditional Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
Image of page 34
The SDLC n Major advantages 1. Control 2. Accountability 3. Error detection n Major drawbacks n Relatively inflexible n Time-consuming and expensive n Discourages changes once user requirements are done
Image of page 35

Subscribe to view the full document.

Prototyping Six-Stage Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) with Supporting Tools Systems Investiga tion Deliverab le: Go/No Go Decision Systems Analysis Deliverab le: User Requirem ent Systems Design Deliverab le: Technical Specificat ion Programmi ng and Testing Implement The
Image of page 36
Image of page 37

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern