But also in rich countries like the usa the impact is

This preview shows page 10 - 12 out of 62 pages.

But also in rich countries like the USA the impact is being felt10. In other places like the Middle East it
Playing Field Dynamicsv10 2016020111might become too hot to live later in this century. Although some people still seem to doubt thereality of climate change and its devastating impact on our playing field11.SpacecraftOur earth will keep changing and humans can certainly impact these changes, just by living the waywe do on our beautiful planet. We will come to that in the next sections about population growthand its related challenges. At the end of this first section we need to realise that the earth is like aspace ship in the universe. So far only a few countries have explored small parts of the universe butinterest seems to be growing again. Not only for scientific and political reasons but also because theopportunity to “mine space” for raw materials from a commercial perspective, which also brings usto the next sections of this paper.Issues for companiesWhat does your business contribute to our planet and to climate issues?How important is the earth for your company and how do you deal with it?What impact will climate change have on your business and how do you deal with it?Issues for directors, managers, employees, students and other stakeholdersWhich of these earth related issues impact my life now and in the next five years?What is important for me in dealing with our earth?Are you willing to contribute to improving the biodiversity on earth?#2. Growing world populationDemographicsWorld population growth is the net result of several phenomena. One of these is the increasingnumber of children being born and the number of them that survives childhood. In other words: adeclining infant mortality leads to more people in our earth. Another factor is the increasing lifeexpectancy of people living on our earth. In all continents an increase of life expectancy can be seen,although in the west the expectations are still higher than e.g. in sub-Saharan Africa. A third factor isglobal migration, which leads to a growing world population when people who flee from war zonesstay alive.In the 21stcentury, the world population will grow from 6 to 10 or 11 billion people12. In 2011 wepassed the 7 billion marker. What we here in the west keep forgetting is that of these 7 billion peopleonly 15 % - roughly less than a 1 billion – live in the West. The other 85% (6+ billion people) lives inthe ‘rest of the world’.Until 2020 the population in Central and Southern Asia will grow with 250 million people. There willalso be 38 million more people in Pakistan, 10 million in Afghanistan, 9 million in Iraq and 9 million inIran. And in Yemen the population will grow from 17 to 29 million in 202513. This growth will lead to asituation in which in the West only 10% of the world population lives14.

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

End of preview. Want to read all 62 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Term
Summer
Professor
Haico
Tags
Test, Gilgamesh, World population, Energy development, World energy resources and consumption, Peak oil, Field Dynamics

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture