11.Compare and contrast adaptive and nonadaptive mechanisms of evolution. (2)12. In the following scenario, state what evolutionary mechanism is likely to occur and why: (2 points each = 10 points)1. A few polar bears are separated from their population by a random ice drift. Consider this new smaller population.
1. A disease ravishes a population of wild corn.
2. Two populations of hermit crab live in the same lagoon.
3. A volcanic eruption kills most of a certain species of beetle.
4. A population of viruses has an error-prone RNA polymerase.
13. List and describe the five conditions required for a theoretical population to be in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.(10)
14. Can a natural population ever be in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium? (1)
1.Eye color in Jabberwocks is controlled by a single gene with two alleles that exhibit simple dominance. Flame eyes (F) are dominant to brown eyes (f), with individuals of Ff genotype having flame eyes. In a population of 500 Jabberwocks, 300 have brown eyes; the rest have flame eyes. The population is in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. Let p represent the frequency of the dominant allele and q represent the frequency of the recessive allele. (1 point each = 6)