33 of the respondents strongly agreed and 17 disagreed with the statement 4 of

33 of the respondents strongly agreed and 17

This preview shows page 48 - 50 out of 61 pages.

training to Agribusiness SMEs owners and their employees. 33% of the respondents strongly agreed and 17% disagreed with the statement. 4% of the respondents were neutral with the statement. However, 22% of the respondents agreed while 24% strongly agreed. This makes a total of 50% of the respondents who disagreed and 46% agreed. The average number of the respondents agreeing with the statement shows that there’s much more to be done by MFIs to train MFIs owners. This will increase the growth of SMEs which agrees with Storey (2013) who argued that training services on business skills enhance performance. He concluded that the most important factors of business success among entrepreneurs were: a successful record of previous work history; strong analytical skills acquired in a broad humanistic education; early investment in personal reputation and broad biographical experience outside the narrow field of the profession; early 35
Image of page 48
socialization experiences functioning as biographical resources in the discovery of successful business ideas; and a training on how to communicate effectively with customers in an increasingly global and knowledge - based economy. 4.5.2 MFIs have Organized Seminars where SMEs Owners have gained a lot on the Management of their Businesses. The details shown by the above figure 4.6 is clear that 17% of the respondents strongly disagreed and 11% disagreed. 6% were of neutral opinion, 28% agreed and 39% strongly agreed. This brings a total of the respondents who disagreed with the statement to 28% and 67% of them agreed with the statement. This agrees with Kisaka and Mwewa (2014) who established that Small and Medium Enterprise Development Authority (SMEDA) organizes training programs, seminars, workshops and conferences of short duration in major cities across the country for raising awareness and capacity building of SMEs. These need-based training programs are affordable, appropriate and innovative. These programs are aimed at improving knowledge, skills and competencies in the technical, marketing, financial, compliance, regulatory, legal and commercial functions. They help to improve major performance indicators such as productivity, quality, competitiveness and sustainability etc. 4.5.3 MFIs have improved my People Management Skills On whether MFIs had improved the people management skills among Agribusiness SMEs owners, 15% of the respondents strongly disagreed, 10% disagreed, 3% were of neutral opinion, 30% agreed while 42% strongly agreed. This implies that a total of 25% of the respondents disagreed and 72% agreed. This is in agreement with Thassanabanjong et al., (2009) that Training is critical for enhancing productivity and improving quality. It also positively influences the employees’ efficiency, effectiveness and motivation. 4.5.4 MFIs have improved my Financial Management Skills As shown in figure 4.6, 11% of the respondents strongly disagreed, 6% disagreed, 4% were of neutral opinion, 37% agreed and 42% strongly agreed. This attributed to 17% of the respondents who disagreed and 79% of them were in agreement with the statement. This is clear that training services by MFIs in essential in financial management skills among the SMEs owners.
Image of page 49
Image of page 50

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture