Final

And impact on each cultural individual the spa

This preview shows page 5 - 8 out of 13 pages.

and impact on each cultural individual, the spa industry combines different features from all countries and around the world. For example, American spas are catered more towards beauty and pampering oneself, Asian spas are more towards mental and physical health treatment as well as spiritual practices and on top of that, European spas involves medical and clinical treatment (Bodeker & Cohen, 2010). Various types of spas were created to satisfy different consumers from different cultures, such as salon spa, hotel spa, destination spa, medical spa, mineral spa/hotspring, hotel spa were created based on the idea of satisfying all hotel guests by providing rejuvenation and relaxation spa services (Chaturvedi, 2016). Asian spas differ slightly as compared to other cultural spas. The use of minerals from hot springs are well known for its therapeutic effects in Asian countries such as Japan and Korea. The main focus and purpose of asian spas is to restore one’s body to its balanced state through natural use of herbs (Panchal, 2012). Water based spas are not the only essential elements in asian spa culture, water is a healing element in asian culture, Asians also apply essential oils to their spas for enhanced effect of restoration and relaxation (Panchal, 2012). In addition to this, Schütte and Ciarlante’s Asian Equivalent Model shows that asians’ socially directed needs are at the highest level of needs. As mentioned, social status is the utmost important in Asian culture, being able to afford spas treatments and luxury reflects the social status of Asians (Mak, Wong & Chang, 2008). Asian culture not only have their very 4
Image of page 5

Subscribe to view the full document.

own specific elements in spa, they are also one of the greatest combination of global spas culture (Panchal, & Pearce, 2011). Demographic The demographic profile of the spa market showed that females represent an overall 80% of the entire spa consumer market whereas males only represent the remaining 20%. The age group of 41-60 years have the highest overall spa visits for both male and females (Koh, Yoo & Boger Jr, 2010). However, it can be seen that male customers have increased tremendously over the years (Sherman, Clemenz & Philipp, 2007). Males are often escapists, where they prefer a quiet environment, females on the other hand tend to be hedonists where they prefer socialization during their spa visits. 3.0 Market segmentation 3.1 Segmentation table Segment A Segment B Segment C Demographic - Age - Gender - Social class - Income 30-40 Male and female High class High income level 41-60 Male High class High income level 41-60 Female Middle class Medium income 5
Image of page 6
level Behavioural - Benefit sought - Motivation Relaxation Boost confidence and prestige level Health treatment Feel better and satisfaction Health treatment Feel better and satisfaction Psychographic - Personality - Life style/attitudes - Purchase habit Neutralists Fast paced lifestyle, Work hard play hard Only when needed, spa packages Escapists Stressful, more health conscious Regular goers, premium packages Hedonists Enjoyment, more towards treatment Regular goers, affordable packages 3.2 Segment A
Image of page 7

Subscribe to view the full document.

Image of page 8
  • Fall '19
  • WONG, Medical Spa, Hotel Spa, Swasana Spa

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern