PIE CHART A chart that shows the proportion or percent that each class

Pie chart a chart that shows the proportion or

  • Utah Valley University
  • MGMT 2340
  • Notes
  • UltraLightningLyrebird8361
  • 35
  • 67% (30) 20 out of 30 people found this document helpful

This preview shows page 4 - 7 out of 35 pages.

PIE CHART A chart that shows the proportion or percent that each class represents of the total number of frequencies. Another useful type of chart for depicting qualitative information is a pie chart.
Image of page 4
24 Chapter 2 The first step to develop a pie chart is to record the percentages 0, 5, 10, 15, andso on evenly around the circumference of a circle (see Chart 2–2). To plot the 65 per-cent share awarded for prizes, draw a line from the center of the circle to 0 andanother line from the center of the circle to 65 percent. The area in this “slice” rep-resents the lottery proceeds that were awarded in prizes. Next, add the 65 percentof expenses awarded in prizes to the 23 percent payments to education; the resultis 88 percent. Draw a line from the center of the circle to 88 percent, so the areabetween 65 percent and 88 percent depicts the payments made to education. Con-tinuing, add the 7 percent for bonuses, which gives us a total of 95 percent. Drawa line from the center of the circle to 95, so the “slice” between 88 percent and95 percent represents the payment of bonuses. The remainder, 5 percent, is foroperating expenses.CHART 2–2Pie Chart of Ohio Lottery Expenses in 200725%50%65%75%88%95%0%Operating ExpensesBonuses/CommissionsPrizesEducationBecause each slice of the pie represents the relative share of each component, wecan easily compare them:The largest expense of the Ohio Lottery is for prizes.About one-fourth of the proceeds are transferred to education.Operating expenses account for only 5 percent of the proceeds.The Excel system will develop a pie chart. See the following chart for the informa-tion in Table 2–3.TABLE 2–3Ohio State Lottery Expenses in 2007AmountPercent Use of Sales($ million)of SharePrizes1,311.165Education464.323Bonuses139.87Expenses109.85Total2,025.0100We explain the details of constructing a pie chart using the information inTable 2–3, which shows a breakdown of the expenses for the Ohio State Lotteryin 2007.
Image of page 5
Describing Data: Frequency Tables, Frequency Distributions, and Graphic Presentation25ExampleSkiLodges.com is test marketing its new website and is interested in how easy itsWeb page design is to navigate. It randomly selected 200 regular Internet users andasked them to perform a search task on the Web page. Each person was asked torate the relative ease of navigation as poor, good, excellent, or awesome. The resultsare shown in the following table:1.What type of measurement scale is used for ease of navigation?2.Draw a bar chart for the survey results.3.Draw a pie chart for the survey results.Awesome102Excellent58Good30Poor10
Image of page 6
Image of page 7

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture