Some people are more in tune to situations than others o How much does a person

Some people are more in tune to situations than

This preview shows page 4 - 6 out of 13 pages.

Some people are more in tune to situations than others o How much does a person look to the situation to figure out how to behave? o For those who do this more, who are more in tune to the situation, personality should be less relevant to behavior o A high self monitor = someone who is always looking to situation to maximize the benefits E.g., do these people like extraverts? Is it a good idea to “look smart” in this situation? o A low self monitor = someone who primarily bases his or her behavior on internal thoughts and feelings E.g., do I feel extraverted? Do I have something smart to say? o Personality should predict behavior for low but not high self monitors o Situation Selection & Personality Traits In the situation selection strategy, one can approaches or avoids certain people or situations based on what potential emotional events may be resulted from the interaction. situation selection is most used by neuroticism conscientiousness and openness also use situation selection o The Principle of Correspondence The Law of Correspondence basically says that our current reality is a mirror of what is going on inside us. Our reality is a result of our inner most dominant thought If our life is filled with unhappiness, chaos or is just straight up unfulfilling, it is a because that’s how we are on the inside. If we hold negative thoughts internally, then our outer world becomes filled with turmoil and strife. o Magnitude of relationship between personality and behavior vs. situations and behavior Following the standard statistical practice, he pointed out that a correlation of 0.30 accounts for only 9 percent of the variation in behavior, leaving the other 91 percent to the situation. Put simply, the situation was 10 times as powerful as personality in determining behavior. o Behavioral Consistency vs. Coherence What do these two perspectives mean Doing the exact same thing in different situations doesn’t necessarily make sense
Image of page 4

Subscribe to view the full document.

But personality may play a role in thematically similar behavior in different situations over time Delay of Gratification & the Marshmallow experiment Something in these people expresses itself in different situations The behavior is not the exact same thing but it “makes sense" o Waiting for 2 marshmallows not same as high GPA, but they’re coherent behavior Personality appears to underlie some kind of capacity to engage in effortful control, to delay gratification, etc. This research STRONGLY suggests that personality REALLY DOES matter to behavior Biological Approaches (6) Mind-Body o Phineas Gage- know what happened and what it implies about the brain and personality A foreman on a railroad in 1848 Three foot rod blasted cleanly through his head He lived for several years after the accident At first, he seemed very unchanged As time went on, it was clear that his personality was not the same “Gage was no longer Gage" o Stroke- what happens to personality after stroke?
Image of page 5
Image of page 6
  • Fall '15

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask ( soon) You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes