Drinking water and retaining fluids raise the blood

This preview shows page 16 - 19 out of 30 pages.

These events also trigger thirst. Drinking water and retaining fluids raise the blood volume and dilute the concentrated fluids,thus helping to restore homeostasisIf one continues to have water loss (low blood volume)- the hypothalamus will trigger the secretion - the adrenal gland will produce aldosterone which will act on the kidneyAldosterone signals the kidneys to excrete potassium and to
retain more sodium, and therefore water, because where sodium moves, water follows. Again, the effect is that when more water is needed, less is excreted.
Minerals (involved with fluid balance)Ions (electrolytes) attract waterexamples Sodium - lose an electron (cation) and has one extra proton Chloride - negative charge (anion) has an extra electron some electrolytes reside primarily outside the cells(notably, sodium, chloride, and calcium), whereas others reside predominantly inside the cells (notably, potassium, magnesium, phosphate, and sulfate)Whenever electrolytes move across the membrane, water follows.Levels should be equal - if not water will flow out or in Solutes in = solutes out - equilibrium /normal conditions Solutes in < solutes out Low to high concentration High concentration outside the cell - water will leave the cell Cell will shrink - Can happen when one drinks too much water Solutes in > solutes out Outside minerals will decrease Water will increase and the cell will swell The cell could rupture - lysis List the major functions and significant food sources of the following nutrientsSodiumFluid balance Nerve transmission - when sodium and potassium switch in placement - this helps to conduct a nerve pulse Muscle contraction Acid base balance Food sources Processed foodsBread and rolls CheeseCanned meatsCanned veggies Snack foods Soy sauce
Table salt PotassiumPotassium plays a major role in maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance and cell integrityMuscle /nerve function Decrease blood pressure Bone health Controlling potassium distribution is a high priority for the bodybecause it affects many aspects of homeostasis, including a steady heartbeat.Food source Fresh fruit and veggies (legumes)Dairy Grains CalciumOnly 1 percent of the body’s calcium is in the body fluids.The remaining 99 percent of the body’s calcium is in the bones (and teeth), where it plays two roles.First,it is an integral part of bone structure, providing a rigid frame that holds the body upright and serves as attachment points for muscles, making motion possible.Provide strength to bones Second, it serves as a calcium bank, offering a readily availablesource of calcium to the body fluids should a drop in blood calcium occur.In the blood- Muscle contractionBlood clottingBone health Blood pressure (normal)Cell metabolism Cofactor Food sourcesDairy products Tofu- calcium setkale/other greens Broccoli Blackstrap molassesFortified foods/beverages Sardines- eat the bones Describe symptoms of deficiency and toxicity for the following nutrientsSodiumDeficiency Hyponatremia

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture