Define transient hypertrophy and explain how it occurs.a.Increased muscle size that develops during and immediately following a single exercise boutb.Occurs b/c fluid accumulates in the interstitial and intracellular spaces of the muscle that comes from blood plasma
Define chronic hypertrophy.a.An increase in muscle size that occurs with long term resistance trainingb.Actual structural changes in the muscle
10. What is the difference between hypertrophy and hyperplasia?
a.Hypertrophy= increase in the size of existing individual muscle fibersb.Hyperplasia= increase in the number of muscle fibers
11. When looking at the whole muscle, how could you explain hypertrophy (i.e., what is accounting for the larger size of the muscle)?
12. How is protein synthesis involved with muscle hypertrophy?
13. Does nutrition have an effect on this? How?
a.Yes (see above)
14. What hormone(s) have an effect on this?