of Don Bosco's disciples.The inspection concluded with some positive and negative observations. Theassistants' cells in the dormitories were too large: there should be neither tables norshelves, just a place for the clothes, a chair and a trunk, if one could not do without; itwould have been better to place the cells amidst the boys' beds. Then there was a needto see that the assistants study together, for example in the library, so the dormitoriescould remain closed during the day, according to the rule Theology classes were tooirregular, also liturgy. The Immaculate Conception Sodality should be started up. Thebrothers who were doing special studies with Don Bosco's consent had to have moretime available, and a guarantee of more regular classes. Other notes regarded the food:in general the community menu should be along the lines of the Oratory in Turin; toomuch coffee was given out and the cafeteria was available to the personnel, somethingto be avoided. Fr Rua had an understanding with the Prefect of the house, Fr Fagnano,that all personnel would have laundry marked with their own names, exclusively fortheir use. The register of income and expenses was well kept, and helped one to knowhow much money there was. On 26 July 1875, Fr Rua began his inspection of the College at Alassio. The workhad been founded in 1870, in agreement with the municipality and was located in an oldFranciscan convent. It was an important school, with excellent primary classes and acomplete lower and upper secondary section. In 1875-1876 there were 160 boarders,and in 1877 more than 200. Between boarders and day students in 1876-1877, Alassiohad 415 pupils. It was entrusted to the wise direction of Francis Cerruti, another firstgeneration Salesian, and one of the most learned.Fr Rua's visit to Alassio was brief and summary His observations were simple: theyneeded to see that the day students could attend religious functions on Sundays; therewere some religious pictures missing from some areas; some of the assistants' cells weretoo big and should be shifted to the middle of the boys' beds; some classrooms wererather filfthy; if community meditation and spiritual reading were arranged for, it wouldbe easier to see who was not making them; finally there needed to be more insistence onthe study of theology.On 11 March 1875, Fr Rua began the visit to the house at Valsalice, on the hilloverlooking Turin. In 1871 Don Bosco, at the request of Archbishop Gastaldi, but withserious opposition from the Superior Chapter, had accepted the running of thisinstitution for aristocrats which had found itself in serious financial difficulties. Theservice personnel weighed heavily on the accounts. In 1872-1873 there were onlytwenty two boarders. At the time of Fr Rua's visit their number had increased to thirtyfive. Fr Francis Dalmazzo was in charge, helped by a group of collaborators: a Prefect,Catechist and three Councillors, plus four bother and clerical confreres.