Education and Training There are national requirements to be an emergency

Education and training there are national

  • No School
  • AA 1
  • 8

This preview shows page 5 - 7 out of 8 pages.

Education and Training There are national requirements to be an emergency medical technician (EMT), an advanced emergency medical technician (AEMT) or paramedic. There may be some differences in some states, however. To work at either of these levels, a person needs formal training and certification in all states. The US Department of Transportation and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a recommended national curriculum with training requirements and a minimum number of hours to obtain certification. A certified EMT, for example, needs 24 hours of continuing education hours in each 2-year certification cycle or a 24-hour refresher course for recertification. Refreshers are in things such as advanced trauma or pediatric courses. Many states will require testing through the National Registry of EMTs before final certification or licensure. It makes no difference where a person decides to practice, city, county, or state agency; all requirements are the same. The only change would be at the state level as the skills used will be requested and approved by the local medical director (Smeby, 2014). The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) website has links for each level of certification. Each link gives the individual seeking certification all the information needed for education. It shows the requirements needed to be met, such as age, need for CPR-BLS credentialing, and successful completion of the National Registry cognitive
Image of page 5

Subscribe to view the full document.

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT ACTION PLAN PHASE THREE 6 (knowledge) and state-approved psychomotor (skills) exam. The website provides a link for the education standards, scope of practice model, and national EMS core content. It also provides links on how to apply for the exams and recertification, as well as many other helpful links like numbers for state agencies that can help find EMT classes available (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, 2019). Once licensure is obtained, further training of skills will take place within the company for which the person works. There is also a specific need education and training. This education would be for learning standard operating procedures (SOP), specific rules to help clarify consistent actions that result in proven outcomes and safe procedures. Training for hazardous materials, the National Incident Management System (NIMS), and initial fire attack. These are all specialized areas of education over what is needed for licensure.
Image of page 6
Image of page 7
  • Fall '19
  • National Incident Management System, Federal emergency Management Agency

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Ask Expert Tutors You can ask 0 bonus questions You can ask 0 questions (0 expire soon) You can ask 0 questions (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes