3. Howard Dully was given a lobotomy by a doctor after six other doctors concluded his behavior was normal. This raises concerns about
4. One definition of substance abuse says people have a severe disorder if they feel substance use causes them serious problems. A second definition lists 11 symptoms and specifies that people must meet at least six for diagnosis. The second definition is
5. A man suffering from low energy and stomach pain was given different diagnoses by each of three doctors. This reveals a problem with diagnostic
6. Which of the following is true of substance use disorders?
7. After Mike had several episodes of intense fear in a crowded grocery store, he began having his groceries delivered. He avoids driving over bridges because he doesn't think he could control his car if he had another episode. Mike is showing signs of
8. Maya once had a panic attack in a movie theater and has not been able to go to the movies since. What kind of therapy would be best for Maya?
9. Jack worries constantly that he is teeming with germs. He has tried to distract himself by playing video games, but this has not stopped him from showering seven or eight times a day. Which of the following statements is true in Jack's case?
10. Riva is so fearful of social judgment that she is unable to speak or make eye contact around new people. A cognitive behavioral psychologist would begin treatment by