50%(4)2 out of 4 people found this document helpful
This preview shows page 4 - 5 out of 214 pages.
College. Government of India donated Rs. 15 Lakh and Nizam of Hyderabad also donated Rs. 10 Lakh to the University.*27 October 1927 : The Chancellor appointed an Enquiry Commission on the University affairs headed by Sir Ibrahim Rehmatullah on the recommendation of PVC. Sir Ziauddin resigned on 27 April 1928.*27 November 1927 : William Marris, Governor of U.P. inaugurated Ahmadi School for the Blind.*24 November 1928 : Allama Iqbal conferred with the life membership of the AMU Students Union.*20 September 1931 : Dr. C.V.Raman, noted scientist conferred with the D.Sc. (Honoris causa)*14 November 1933 : At its 12th Annual Convocation the University awarded its first Doctorate to Dr. Omar Farooq in Chemistry.*1934 : Frontier Leader Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan, an alumnus, visited his alma mater.*1934 : Jawahar Lal Nehru visited Aligarh Muslim University.*30 April 1934 : Sir Ross Masood resigned from the post of Vice Chancellor.*1935 : The Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Usman Ali Khan elected Chancellorof the University.*1936 : The university acquired Aligarh Fort.*5 February 1938 : Mr. Mohammad Ali Jinnah, President, All India Muslim League visited AMU.*23 January 1938 : Sir Agha Khan laid the foundation stone of Technical Laboratories.*8 March 1941 : Nawab Kamal Yar Jung inaugurated Agha Khan Workshop. B.Sc.(Engineering) classes started.*15 December 1948 : C. Rajgopalacharya, Governor General of India visited the University.*11 October 1951 : The Parliament passed the AMU Amendment Act.*8 December 1951 : The President of India, Dr Rajendra Prasad delivered the Convocation Address.*3 January 1952 : The Health Minister, Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur, laid the foundation stone of the Institute of Ophthalmology.*6 November 1955 : Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru laid the foundation stone of Maulana Azad Library, which was inaugurated by him on 6 December 1960.*3 December 1955 : His Majesty Shah Saud Bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia visited the University. The University conferred upon him the degree of Doctorate of law (Honoris Causa).*25 February 1956 : In a special Convocation, the University conferred the degree of Doctor of Law (Honoris Causa) upon Shah of Iran, Raza Shah Pehalvi.*21 May 1956 : A delegation led by Dr. Zakir Husain visited Saudi Arabia and Shah Saud donated Rs. one million for the establishment of Medical College.*17 February 1958 : His Majesty Zahir Shah of Afghanistan was conferred with LL.D. (Honoris Causa).*1 April 1960 : Jamal Abdul Nasser, President of United Arab Republic visited the institution.*8 November 1960 : Mr. C.D. Deshmukh, Chairman, University Grants Commission laid the foundation stone of General Education Centre (Kennedy House) with a donationof Rs. 22 Lakhs by Ford Foundation, U.S.A.TodayAligarh Muslim University is a residential academic institution offering 280 courses in traditional and modern branches of education .It has almost thirty thousand students, and over two thousand faculty members with over eighty departments of study. It draws students from a number of countries, especially countries in Africa, West Asia and South East Asia. In some courses, seats are reserved for students from SAARCand Commonwealth countries.(about AMU)The 12 faculties are:* Faculty of