Use the coaching planning worksheet to stay on task

  • No School
  • AA 1
  • 25

This preview shows page 15 - 21 out of 25 pages.

Use the coaching planning worksheet to stay on task. Net the issue out in one sentence in your mind. Make sure you are in the right frame of mind. SHARE Start with an opening statement. Share your motive. Share the gap between what was expected and what was reality. Reference the facts or examples so the employee knows exactly what you are talking about. Keep your emotions in check. Stick to the facts.
Image of page 15
14 ASK Invite them to reply. Ask one open-ended question to get the conversation started. Remain silent and allow them time to respond. Get them involved in the dialogue as soon as possible. LISTEN To be a good listener, speak about 25% of the time and listen the other 75%. When asking the employee a question, the next best thing you can do is be quiet and let them respond. Pay attention to their words, tone, voice and body language. Guide and question them and help them to discover their own answers.
Image of page 16
15 ACTION Discuss constraints, problem areas, barriers or needed areas of improvement. Treat this as a conversation….goal of understanding. Ask them to commit to specific actions, results and timeframes. Clarify who will do what, by when, and how will you follow up. Keep the responsibility on their shoulders; not yours. PRAISE Point out specific talents, skills and abilities they have that will help them reach their goals. Express your belief that they will do whatever it takes to be successful. Share potential you see in them that they don’t see in themselves. Thank them and remind them how valuable they are. REMEMBER…PEOPLE MATTER.
Image of page 17
16 FEEDBACK PROCESS – WHAT YOU WOULD SAY Opening Statement – Share “Thanks for meeting with me. I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about this situation. I’d like to share with you my observations and then invite you to respond. How does that sound?” FEEDBACK PROCESS – WHAT YOU WOULD SAY Describe the GAP Using Facts - Share “The reason why I’d like to bring this up is because I think if we talk about it now, it will help to improve the quality of our working relationship.” “Two weeks ago you and I met and agreed that you would complete the weekly report by 4:00pm each Friday. I’ve noticed that the past two weeks I didn’t receive the report until 8:30a.m. Monday morning.”
Image of page 18
17 FEEDBACK PROCESS – WHAT YOU WOULD SAY Invite Them to Reply – Ask and Listen “What can you share with me about this?” OPEN-ENDED QUESTIONS Asking good questions – Ask and Listen “What do you think happened?” “Can you expand on that?” “How would you summarize the situation?” “What is your perspective?” “Tell me more.” “Share with me the specific details.”
Image of page 19
18 CLARIFICATION “Before we continue, let me make sure I have captured what you said. What I thought I heard you say was…” “So if I heard you correctly, what you said was…” “Have I missed anything?”
Image of page 20
Image of page 21

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 25 pages?

  • Fall '19
  • Patrice McGuire, McGuire Business Partners,  Fact

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask ( soon) You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors