Often parallel explanations of natural phenomena

This preview shows page 6 - 8 out of 11 pages.

often parallel explanations of natural phenomena offered by previous generations of scientists and philosophers; Misconceptions have their origin in diverse personal experience including direct observations, peer culture and language as well as in teachers’ explanation and instructional materials; and often, teachers subscribe to the same misconceptions as their students. Effects of Intervention An intervention was done by the researcher to reduce if the not eradicate the misconceptions. The researcher utilized several methods such as the use of ICT like webquest, video clips, some others in the plan lessons and was validated by experts (pedagogy and content). Likewise, try-out was done prior to intervention. Results of the intervention reveals that very few were in agreement with the superstitious belief after the intervention in comparison with those who disagreed. An overall percentage of 95.33% of the 417 student participants either disagreed or strongly disagreed on the superstitious beliefs on all of the 38 superstitious which were subjected to intervention in order to redirect the misconceptions to scientifically accepted concepts. The percentage of respondents disagreeing on each of the 38 superstitious beliefs ranged from 92% to 97%. This may indicate the extent of redirection of the misconceptions to scientifically based concepts due to the intervention. The remaining 3% to 7% of the respondents who were found to be in agreement the superstitious belief may not have fully redirected their misconceptions or they still adhere to the belief. Perhaps they still want to hold on to these superstitious beliefs it will make them feel good about themselves when they follow certain behavioral patterns. It can
Image of page 6

Subscribe to view the full document.

32 be an asset if the superstition promotes positive attitude and approach toward prevailing circumstances. Among the Meranaos, especially the very old ones, to them some superstitions have rooted deeply so much so that they and their families and relatives or even the local population encounters psychological impact on their lives because of these traditions. These age-old superstitious beliefs that had been passed on from generation to generation may have taken shape as a habit. If they are lacking of these beliefs, they become insecure. Superstitious beliefs are irrational beliefs and notions held by many not only among Meranaos which are based on fear, magical thinking, ignorance and blind faith. Igwe (2009) opined that these beliefs and notions lacked evidence or proof and do not have any basis in logic, fact, common sense or in reality. Many traditional and cultural practices that needed to be preserved either by written or verbal form. Such cultural practices are beliefs, norms, traditions, superstitions, myths, legends and other important features of social life and culture. Many of these superstitious beliefs are to teach certain moral value which when critically observed is scientific.
Image of page 7
Image of page 8

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern