PROBLEM ONE 18 points Lennox Industries manufactures two products A and B A

Problem one 18 points lennox industries manufactures

This preview shows page 10 - 15 out of 16 pages.

PROBLEM ONE (18 points) Lennox Industries manufactures two products: A and B. A review of the company's accounting records revealed the following data: A B Production volume (units) 2,500 5,000 Direct material (per unit) $40 $60 Direct labor (per unit): 2 hours at $12/hr $24 3 hours at $12/hr $36 Manufacturing overhead is currently applied by spreading overhead of $1,860,000 over 20,000 direct labor hours. However, management is considering a shift to activity‐based costing in an effort to improve the firm's accounting procedures, and the following data are available: Cost Pool Cost Cost Driver A B Total Setting up 240,000 $ Number of setups 100 20 120 General factory overhead 1,500,000 Direct labor hours 5,000 15,000 20,000 Machine processing 120,000 Machine hours 2,200 800 3,000 1,860,000 $ Cost Driver Volume Lennox determines selling prices by adding 40% to a product's total cost. Required: A. Compute the per‐unit cost and selling price of product B by using Lennox's current costing procedures. (5 points)
Image of page 10
ACC 312 Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting Midterm Exam 2, Spring 2013 11 B. Compute the per‐unit manufacturing overhead cost of product B if the company switches to activity‐ based costing. (5 points) C. Compute product B's total per‐unit cost and selling price under activity‐based costing. (5 points) D. Lennox has recently encountered significant international competition for product B, with considerable business being lost to very aggressive suppliers. Will activity‐based costing allow the company to be more competitive with product B from a price perspective? State “Yes” or “No” and briefly explain. (3 points)
Image of page 11
ACC 312 Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting Midterm Exam 2, Spring 2013 12 PROBLEM TWO (12 points) Sleepy Pillow Company, a manufacturer of pillows, has the following budgeted sales in units for the next six- month period: # of Pillows June 100,000 July 125,000 August 150,000 September 200,000 October 280,000 There were 50,000 units of finished goods in inventory at the beginning of June. Plans are to have an ending inventory of finished products that equals 20% of the unit sales for the next month. Five pounds of raw materials are required for each pillow produced. Each pound of raw material costs $2.00. Budgeted raw material inventory levels (in pounds) are as follows: Beginning Ending Balance Balance July 200,000 220,000 August 240,000 Each pillow is expected to sell for $20. Credit sales are expected to comprise 90% of total sales (cash sales make up the remaining 10%). Collections for credit sales are expected to be 80% in the month of sale, 20% in the following month. A. Prepare production budgets, in units, for July and August. (4 points)
Image of page 12
ACC 312 Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting Midterm Exam 2, Spring 2013 13 B. Prepare direct-material purchases budgets for July and August. Give total purchases in both pounds of material and dollars for each month. (5 points) C. Based only on the above information, what will Sleepy Pillow record as their ending September 30th accounts receivable balance in their budgeted balance sheet? (3 points)
Image of page 13
ACC 312 Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting Midterm Exam 2, Spring 2013 14 PROBLEM THREE (20 points) Part A Hot Stuff operates a delivery service for local restaurants. Variable overhead costs are budgeted at $3 per
Image of page 14
Image of page 15

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 16 pages?

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes