Thus there is scope for greater concurrency if page

Info icon This preview shows pages 2–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Thus there is scope for greater concurrency. If page caching is used, this is not possible. 17.4 Suppose a transaction is written in C with embedded SQL , and about 80 percent of the time is spent in the SQL code, with the remaining 20 percent spent in C code. How much speedup can one hope to attain if parallelism is used only for the SQL code? Explain. Answer: Since the part which cannot be parallelized takes 20% of the total running time, the best speedup we can hope for has to be less than 5. 17.5 Some database operations such as joins can see a significant difference in speed when data (for example, one of the relations involved in a join) fits in memory as compared to the situation where the data does not fit in memory. Show how this fact can explain the phenomenon of superlinear speedup , where an application sees a speedup greater than the amount of resources allocated to it. Answer: FILL
Image of page 2

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Practice Exercises 19 17.6 Parallel systems often have a network structure where sets of n pro- cessors connect to a single Ethernet switch, and the Ethernet switches themselves connect to another Ethernet switch. Does this architecture correspond to a bus, mesh or hypercube architecture? If not, how would you describe this interconnection architecture? Answer: FILL
Image of page 3
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern