Yugoslav Wars (1991-1995; 1998~1999) • Fatah; Hamas; • Dessert Storm • Iranian nuclear effort • Arab Spring (2010) Unit 6, Topic 23 State Building, Expansion, and Conflict (Part II), 1945 - present
• Modern period (1870 - 1940) • Contemporary era / postmodern era (1940 -) • Trends: • multiculturalism • mass media technology • information / digital revolution Unit 6, Topic 24 Culture, Science and Technology, 1900 - present
• High art and culture • bold experimentation and distortion/abandonment of traditional norms and conventions • First half of the 1900s: uncertainty and pessimism • Artist: avant-garde Dada movement - absurdism, irrationality • Psychologist: Sigmund Freud • Historian: Spengler’s The Decline of the West • Writer: Remarque - All Quiet on the Western Front; Eliot and Kafka; Virginia Woolf: stream of consciousness prose • Abstract painters: Picasso; Surrealists - Salvador Dali • After WWII: existentialism • Author: Beckett; • Philosopher: Camus; Jean-Paul Sartre; • Postmodernism: doubt of modernity and rationalism Unit 6, Topic 24 Culture, Science and Technology, 1900 - present
• Non-Western World: • India - Tagore; China - Lu Xun; • African-American’s Harlem Renaissance and Negritude movement; • Mexican artist - Diego Rivera (for the poor) • Chinua Achebe • Yukio Mishima • Gabriel Marquez Unit 6, Topic 24 Culture, Science and Technology, 1900 - present
• Mass Culture and Multiculturalism • mass media / popular culture • mass culture and high culture became difficult to define • e.g. Harlem Renaissance, Jazz (US), cabaret culture (Germany); modern Olympic Games; World Cup soccer; cricket ; • propaganda. always have agenda. brainwashing. • Globalization, Westernization, Americanization vs. Multiculturalism • Coca-colonization; global village; • new mixing interactions - reggae music, Bollywood films Unit 6, Topic 24 Culture, Science and Technology, 1900 - present
• Religion in the Modern Era • Synthetic forms of spirituality • Religious difference and political / ethical difference • Religious fundamentalism • liberation theology • John Paul II (anti-communism) Unit 6, Topic 24 Culture, Science and Technology, 1900 - present
• Science and Technology • Albert Einstein and theory of relativity • Quantum physics • Rocketry and space science, powered flight (1903); space race • Medical advances: polio vaccine, penicillin; genetics; molecular structure of DNA; neurology • invention of the computer; PC; information / digital revolution; internet; wireless technology; mobile communications; social media … Unit 6, Topic 24 Culture, Science and Technology, 1900 - present
Unit 6, Topic 25 Economic Systems, 1900 - present • Trend: globalization, business cycles (and economy cycle), periodic boom and bust • Divergent Approaches to the Economy • Free-market capitalism - by Adam Smith. unregulated; market force driven by supply and demand; monopolies; government to build up social safety net, infrastructure, social welfare system; • Semi-capitalist / semi-socialist: the middle or the third way • Keynesian School - by John Maynard Keynes. regulated; • against: Austrian School - by Hayek (free market) • against: Milton Friedman, advocate of privatization • State-directed capitalism • Socialist / social democratism • Communism - state-sponsored industralization; collectivization of agriculture
Unit 6, Topic 25 Economic Systems, 1900 - present • Boom and bust •
You've reached the end of your free preview.
Want to read all 290 pages?