12-13_Microbial_Growth___Metabolism_Combo

Cereus e coli s aureus by t port tb culture dr george

Info icon This preview shows pages 15–21. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
B. cereus, E. coli & S. aureus by T. Port; TB culture , Dr. George Kubica PHIL #4428, Treponema pallidum , Dr. Edwin P. Ewing, Jr., PHIL #836 From the Virtual Microbiology Classroom on ScienceProfOnline.com
Image of page 15

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Meet the Microbe! _______________ GRAM-POSITIVE” Bactera Q: Why is “ Gram-positive ” in quotation marks? Genus of rod-shaped, acid-fast bacteria . Mycolic acid in cell wall gives Mycobacteria many characteristics that defy medical treatment, including: increased resistance to chemical damage & dehydration allows the bacterium to grow inside macrophages, hiding it from host's immune system M. tuberculosis doubles population every 18-24 hours, while M. leprae doubles population about every 14 days. Extremely long generation time; contributes to the chronic nature of both diseases. Mycolic Acid, Generation Time & Disease Images: TB Culture, PHIL #4428; Acid fast stain, Mycobacteria pink, T. Port TB Culture Acid-fast stain From the Virtual Microbiology Classroom on ScienceProfOnline.com
Image of page 16
Factors Influencing Microbial Growth Nutrition Oxygen Temperature pH Osmotic Pressure This scanning electron micrograph (SEM) depicts numerous clumps of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, commonly referred to by the acronym, MRSA, by Janice Haney Carr, PHIL #10046 From the Virtual Microbiology Classroom on ScienceProfOnline.com
Image of page 17

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Microbial Nutrition Organisms use a variety of nutrients for: their energy needs to build organic molecules & cellular structures. Most common nutrients contain necessary elements: ______ Oxygen Nitrogen Hydrogen These 4 elements make up 95% of dry weight of bacterium. The other 5% is composed of Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus and Iron. Other elements that are needed are ___________ __________. These elements are needed in extremely small amounts, can be obtained through water intake. Image: Salmonell a, Rocky Mountain Labs NIAID NIH From the Virtual Microbiology Classroom on ScienceProfOnline.com
Image of page 18
Obligate ____________ – Need oxygen to stay alive. Aerobic respiration = Use of O2 to break down food into useable energy. Obligate ____________ – Die in presence of oxygen. It is poisonous to them. Anaerobic respiration = break down food into useable energy without the use of O2. _____________ Anaerobes – Not strict aerobes or anaerobes. Many yeasts and enteric bacteria. Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. ________________ bacteria – Require oxygen levels lower that that found under normal atmospheric conditions ( Helicobacter pilori – found in stomach). ________________ Anaerobes Don’t use oxygen, but are not killed by it. (Lactobacilli - This genus will make pickles from cucumbers and cheese from milk.) Microbes & Oxygen O 2 From the Virtual Microbiology Classroom on ScienceProfOnline.com
Image of page 19

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Microbes & Oxygen Aerobic and anaerobic bacteria can be identified by growing them in liquid culture: 1: Obligate aerobic bacteria gather at top of test tube to absorb maximal amount of oxygen.
Image of page 20
Image of page 21
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern