Having one ready to go can help control or even put

This preview shows page 4 - 7 out of 8 pages.

the necessity of fire extinguishers should be mandatory. Having one ready to go can help control or even put out flames before emergency response units arrive. When a community faces hardship to due wildfires, local governments turn to the state for help. This is when the governor analyzes what is going on and declares a state of emergency. Assistance from other local and state governments would join the fight. An example of this 4
Image of page 4

Subscribe to view the full document.

Community Hazard Analysis, Vulnerability Assessment, and Mitigation Strategies would be the Blue Cut Fire of 2016. According to CAL FIRE, this event consumed over 36, 000 acres and had support from 9 Federal, State, and Local agencies. The amount of help received was a total of 914 personnel and a total of 21 crews. CAL FIRE also assigned 5 helicopters, 47 fire trucks, 6 dozers, and 9 water tenders to aid ground crews (Blue Cut Fire, 2016). To show that Federal agencies do provide the assistance that is required, National Forest spokeswoman Lynn Sieliet had an estimation cost only County Fire $2 million dollars. “A FEMA grant was expected to pay 75 percent of that cost, while state funding would cover 75 percent of the remaining 25 percent” (Quintero & Johnson, 2016). Mitigation Strategies 126-129, 115, The city of Hesperia is a town that is determined to be resilient and prepared for anything. They have a Hazard Mitigation plan that outlines everything in full detail from hazard profiles all the way through the full planning process. Their procedures include a demographics profile of the entire community. Then there is plan preparation to include the forming of the team that will be responsible for the planning phase. This is then followed by assessing the hazards and setting goals for the town to meet. The two biggest portions of the Hesperia Hazard Mitigation Plan are the Risk Assessment and the Mitigation Strategy. During the risk assessment, there are multiple topics addressed. In reference to the Earthquake and Wildfire Hazards, the topics addressed is the population risk, residential parcel value risk, and critical facilities at risk. For the Mitigation Strategy, the whole plan goes into an overview to touch base on what goals need to be achieved, the type of assistance that will be provided to help avoid hazards that have been discussed, and the mitigation plan maintenance for the future. Earthquake mitigation strategies involve enforcing state level building code in new structures, safety inspections to make sure there are no violations, and to help those who own 5
Image of page 5
Community Hazard Analysis, Vulnerability Assessment, and Mitigation Strategies potentially hazardous buildings. Also, one of the topics that are addressed is the necessity of the city’s utility providers “continue upgrading their facilities and infrastructure in Hesperia, to improve their survivability in the event of an earthquake” (Hazard Mitigation Plan, 2017). To provide aid, the city has decided to create a Mobile Home Seismic Retrofit Program and General Earthquake Mitigation Projects to help increase community awareness. As for Wildfires, the mitigation strategies are roughly similar. Hesperia will enforce state level building code along with the city’s own additions. There will also be regular safety inspections, coordination with the
Image of page 6

Subscribe to view the full document.

Image of page 7
  • Fall '19
  • Firestop

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Ask Expert Tutors You can ask 0 bonus questions You can ask 0 questions (0 expire soon) You can ask 0 questions (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes