The textbook for the class is understanding space an

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
several years ago, and has been doing research in the space science group at VT ever since. The textbook for the class is “Understanding Space – An Introduction to Astronautics” by J. Sellers, 3 rd edition. There will be assigned readings from this book throughout the semester, augmented by other resources as needed. I have also placed a handful of other reference books on reserve in the Newman library. Grading My grading rubric is as follows: Reading & Discussion Quizzes 9 x 10 pts each (drop lowest) 80 pts (20%) Homework 2 x 10 pts + 4 x 20 pts (drop lowest) 80 pts (20%) Midterm 100 pts (25%) Final Project 100 pts (25%) ____________ 360 pts (90%) The remaining 10% of the grade (40 pts) will be at my discretion, and will be based on class participation, diligence, general quality of work (neatness, completeness, etc.), and consistency throughout the semester. In practice I use this 10% to give me the flexibility to move people up or down in the grade distribution based on my overall perception of your individual work ethic & quality. If you complete all the assignments and show consistency in all graded work throughout the semester, then I will reward you by bumping up your grade if you fall near a cut-off line based on the other 90% of the grade. If I see inconsistency, missed quizzes, and sloppy homework assignments, then I will not hesistate to bump your grade downward if you
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
2 are near a cut-off. This class is not hard, but I do expect participation in class, regular
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern