{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Topic14_Uncertainty

This implies that the person is risk averse which

Info iconThis preview shows pages 17–27. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This implies that the person is risk averse. Which certain job will give the same utility as the uncertain Job 1 with E U(X) = 13.6? 17
Background image of page 17

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ri k A Utilit F ti Risk Averse Utility Function E U(X) = U(X) or 13.6 = 2X 0.5 X = $46.24 E U(X) U(X) or 13.6 2X X $46.24 The certain Job with X = $46.24 gives the same expected utility as the uncertain Job 1 same expected utility as the uncertain Job 1 with E(X) = $48.4. Thus this person is willing to sacrifice up to Thus this person is willing to sacrifice up to 48.40 – 46.24 = $2.16 to avoid risk associated with the risky job-- risk premium . The person is willing to pay up to $2.16 risk premium to avoid Job 1 in favor of Job 2. 18
Background image of page 18
Ri k A i d I Risk Aversion and Income Variability in potential payoffs increases the risk premium. The greater the variability , the more the The , the more the person would be willing to pay to avoid the risk and the larger the risk premium . For a risk averse person, E U(E(X)) from a risky option < U(X) from a certain option, where E(X) = X. For example, if E(X) = 10 for a risky option and X = 10 for a certain option, th E U(E(X)) U (X) 19 then E U(E(X)) < U (X).
Background image of page 19

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ri k N t l Risk Neutral A person is risk neutral if she shows no preference between a certain income, and an uncertain income with the same E(X). A risk neutral person is indifferent towards a fair bet. If you get $1 if tails and lose $1 if heads, then this option is a fair bet as E(X) = 0.5*1 + 0.5*(-1) = 0 A risk neutral person has a constant marginal utility of income. The utility function is a t i ht li F l U 2X 20 straight line. For example , U = 2X .
Background image of page 20
Ri k N t l Risk Neutral Consider a Job that pays you $100 with 60% probability and $25 with 40% probability: E(X) = 0.6 ($100) + 0.4 ($25) = $70 E(X) 0.6 ($100) 0.4 ($25) $70 E(U) = 0.6 U(100) + (0.4) U(25) = 0 6*200 0 4*50 140 = 0.6*200 + 0.4*50 = 140 The certain income of $70 also has the same ili U( 0) 2* 0 140 Th E U(E(X)) utility U(70) = 2*70= 140. Thus E U(E(X)) = U(X). Thus a risk neutral person chooses the option with the highest E(X) 21 option with the highest E(X).
Background image of page 21

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ri k N t l Utility E Risk Neutral 200 A risk neutral person is indifferent between C 140 is indifferent between certain events and uncertain events with A the same expected income: E U(E(X)) = U(X) 50 22 Income 25 70 0 100
Background image of page 22