Native Americans respect is communicated through avoidance of eye contact can

Native americans respect is communicated through

This preview shows page 4 - 6 out of 18 pages.

Native Americansrespect is communicated through avoidance of eye contact (can be interpreted as anintrusion into the spirit).Avoiding loud volume when speaking (stern or loud speaking is considered to beaggressive)Allowing for silence during conversation (felt to be disrespectful to interrupt someone’sconversation).Greet with light handshake.MexicansEmphasizes the mother as the health care decision maker. Fathers are usually in charge ofeverything else besides health care decision makingFamilies are very close and patients often bring many family members to their appointmentsHispanics (Latino’s)Yerba burna (mint tea) is commonly used for headaches in Hispanic cultures & is safe inusual quantitiesStress levels can be very high when Latino patients come to the US. (Emotional distress maypresent with headaches or other somatic complaints).Respect is a normative Latino cultural value along with kindness, friendliness & modestyIt is considered respectful to address elders as Senor/SenoraINDEPENDENTPRACTICE – 46%(81 QUESTIONS)Confidence interval– specified probability of the parameter being estimated. A small confidenceinterval implies a very precise range of values.
Background image
RESEARCH TERMSStandard Deviation – the average amount of deviation of values from the meanReliability– the degree to which an assessment tool produces stable & consistentresultsValidity– the degree in which a variable measure what it is intended to measureLevel of Significance – (P-value) the probability level of which the results of statistical analysis arejudged to indicate a statistically significant difference between 2 groupsP – Value– the alpha used in statistical analysis establishes level of significance foroutcomes being evaluated. 0.05 is the benchmark used to interpret p –values. P-values >0.05 indicates there is a greater than 5% chance that the study outcome is due to randomchance & thus non-significant. <0.05 is statistically significant meaning – 95% chance thatthe results did not occur by chance.Perfect Correlation– a measure of interdependence of 2 random variables that range in valuefrom -1 to +1-1 indicates perfect negative correlation0 absence of correlation+1 perfect positive correlationEvidence Base Practice (EBP) – integration of best research evidence with clinical expertise& patient values to guide medical decision making. The 4 A’s1. Asking a focus question is the 1ststep in seeking an evidence-based answerPICOa) Patient/Population/Problemb) Intervention/Exposurec) Comparison/Controld) Outcome2. Acquiring the best evidence you can find3. Appraisingthe evidence4. Applyingto patient careExperimental– includes experimental manipulation of variables utilizing randomization & acontrol group to test the effects of the intervention or experiment1. Quasi-experimental– manipulation of variable but lacks comparison group orrandomization
Background image
Image of page 6

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 18 pages?

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes