74) The primary duty of the customs agency of a government is the assessment and collection of all duties, taxes, and fees on imported merchandise.
75) The U.S. government has more than 10,000 tariff classifications and more than half of them are subject to interpretation.
76) Indirect exporters sells goods to a foreign intermediary, who then sells the product in the domestic market to the final consumer.
77) Exporters employ an export management company as part of an indirect exporting strategy.
78) Major types of indirect intermediaries include export trading companies, distributors, and freight forwarding companies.
79) An export trading company (ETC) works with many manufacturers rather than representing a single manufacturer.
80) In what is known as direct exporting, the exporter sells goods directly to or through an independent domestic intermediary in the exporter's home country that then exports the products to foreign markets.
81) The foreign freight forwarder is the largest export intermediary in terms of value and weight of products managed.
82) Countertrade refers to any one of several different arrangements that parties negotiate so that they can trade goods and services with limited or no use of currency.
83) Countertrade is an efficient way of doing business.
84) Smithson Pottery is considered a regular exporter because the firm fills unsolicited orders from foreign buyers and passively investigates international trade options.
85) Exporting helps firms improve productivity by utilizing unused capacity and spreading research costs over more customers.