But when we think about not being on the phone we think about holding the phone

But when we think about not being on the phone we

This preview shows page 2 out of 2 pages.

it in an advertisement, read it on a billboard, heard on the radio or even in a commercial. But when we think about not being on the phone we think about holding the phone in our hands and we think it's okay to use all the hands-free devices but thats not the case. I research was conducting to see what effects talking on the phone would have on a passenger driving from point A to point b. The Drivers would navigate from point A to point b with no distractions to establish a baseline. Then they were broken up into two groups one groups talking to a passenger. The other group talking on their cell phone. The research shows that 100% of the group having a conversation with the passengers successfully completed the navigation task. However, the group talking on the phone had a 40% decrease in task completion. Leaving them with 60% completing the navigation task. A great way to address the issue of distracted driving is by using a app that sense when you’re driving and does not let you use your phone. There are already plenty of apps that come with a similar feature to this one app I can think of is Waze. Waze is a navigation app similar to Google maps the app automatically detects when you’re driving and will ask you if you are a driver or passenger whenever you are trying to look for something if you say driver it will not let you do anything. If say you are a passenger it will carry on to the menu while your is moving. If we can develop a similar feature for our phones simply put driving mode so we will not get any in calls or text. I think this would help with the curiosity of wanting to answer the phone or reply to text. Do you think apps like this could make a difference or will people just ignore them? References: Drews, F. A., Pasupathi, M., & Strayer, D. L. (2008). Passenger and cell phone conversations in simulated driving. Journal Of Experimental Psychology. Applied, 14(4), 392–400. How does Waze work? (2019). - Waze Help Support.google.com
Image of page 2

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture