Who was John Winthrop speaking to in this sermon? What do you think is the
purpose of this sermon?
2. Imagine what his audience might have been thinking and feeling as they listened to
him on the ship. Describe it below.
3. What is the main idea of this speech? What do you think Winthrop means when he
says, “We shall be as a City Upon a Hill?”
1. Who was John Cotton speaking to in this sermon? Why is he speaking about settling
in a new land?
2. In this sermon, who are the ‘inhabitants’ in the new land? Who are the ‘foreign
3. What does Cotton say that God will do for the foreign people when they arrive in the