Marketing and advertisingo7.1Space explorationo7.2Children's advertisingo7.3Sports awards and honors8Charityo8.1McHappy Dayo8.2McDonald's Monopoly donationo8.3McRefugee9Criticismo9.1Company responses to criticismo9.2Environmental recordo9.3Legal cases9.3.1Malaysia9.3.2Australia
9.3.3United Kingdom9.3.4United Stateso9.4Use of genetically modified food10See also11References12Further reading13External linksHistoryMain article: History of McDonald'sThe oldest operating McDonald'srestaurant is the third one built, opened in 1953. It is located at 10207 Lakewood Blvd. at Florence Ave. in Downey, California(at 33.9471°N 118.1182°W)McDonald's logo from 1940 until 1948.McDonald's logo from 1948 until 1953.
McDonald's logo from 1953 until 1960.The siblings Richard and Maurice McDonaldopened in 1940 the first McDonald's at 1398 North E Street at West 14th Street in San Bernardino, California(at 34.1255°N 117.2946°W) but it was not the McDonald's recognizable today; Ray Kroc made changes to the brothers' business to modernize it. The brothers introduced the "Speedee Service System" in 1948, putting into expanded use the principles of the modern fast-food restaurantthat their predecessor White Castlehad put into practice more than two decades earlier.. The original mascot of McDonald's was a chef hat on top of a hamburger who was referred to as "Speedee". In 1962 the Golden Arches replaced Speedee as the universal mascot. The symbol, Ronald McDonald, was introduced in 1965. The clown, Ronald McDonald, appeared in advertising to target their audience of children.Ray Krocjoined the chain in 1954 and built it into an eventually global franchise, making it the most successful fast food corporation in the worldOn May 4, 1961, McDonald's first filed for a U.S. trademark on the name "McDonald's" with the description "Drive-In Restaurant Services", which continues to be renewed. By September 13, McDonald's, under the guidance of Ray Kroc, filed for a trademark on a new logo—an overlapping, double-arched "M" symbol. But before the double arches, McDonald's used the a single arch for the architecture of their buildings. Although the "Golden Arches" logo appeared in various forms, the present version was not used until November 18, 1968, when the company was favored a U.S. trademark.The present corporation credits its founding to franchisedbusinessman Ray Krocin on April 15, 1955. This was in fact the ninth opened McDonald's restaurant overall, although this location was destroyed and rebuilt in 1984. Kroc later purchased the McDonald brothers' equity in the company and begun the company's worldwidereach. Kroc was recorded as being an aggressive business partner, driving the McDonald brothers out of the industry.
Kroc and the McDonald brothers fought for control of the business, as documented in Kroc's autobiography.