the Soviets part, it showed the entire world that they soon would find different land to take over
and become communist.
Unit 3, Lesson 7
Answer these basic sourcing questions about each document.
1. (A) What was the American Federation of Labor? Who did it represent?
2. (B) Who was Dorothea Lange?
3. Locate one FSA (Farm Security Administration) Depression era photograph of Texas. Print it,
and on the same page write the photographer, year, and location.
The American Federation of Labor was a national labor union that emerged from the Knights of
Labor and was led by Samuel Gompers. Its goals were to shorten working hours and increase
wages. The AFL represented mostly skilled workers who gathered up in unions to emancipate
Dorothea Lange was a photographer employed by the Farm Security Administration. She helped
demonstrate the struggles of many farming families during hard times including droughts or
Unit 3, Lesson 6
After you read Truman’s explanation for dropping the atomic bomb and the scientists’ petition
regarding the bomb, answer the following questions.
1. Should Truman have ordered the use of the bomb? Why or why not?
2. What legacy was created by the use of the bomb?
3. Do you think another atomic bomb will ever be used in war? Why or why not?