The probability that someone scores over 600 about

Info icon This preview shows pages 12–15. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
The probability that someone scores over 600 About 0.16. Since 68% is in the middle, this leaves 32% in the 2 tails. We want the upper tail which is exactly half of 32% since the normal model is symmetrical 3. The probability that someone scores over 650 Z-score = 1.5 Answer: 0.0668 2 methods using calculator are shown to the right 4. The probability that someone scores between 450 and 600 Between z-scores of -0.5 and 1 Answer: 0.532 5. The probability that someone scores less than 420 Z-score of -0.8 Answer: 0.222 Practice Exercise 2 (p. 21) Suppose the data looking at insurance claims of oceanfront homes due to a category 3 hurricane are appropriately modeled by a normal curve with a mean of 99 (thousand) and a standard deviation of 21 (thousand). 1. If a category 3 hurricane hits, what is the probability that a particular household files a claim for more than $110,000? Z-score = 11/21 = 0.5238 Answer: about 0.3
Image of page 12

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
MODULE 2 Page 13 2. What is the probability that a particular household files a claim for more than $150,000? Z-score = 2.43 Answer = 0.00758 3. What is the probability that a particular household files a claim for less than $90,000? Z-score = -0.429 Answer = 0.334 4. What claim would represent the 90th percentile? Z-score = -1.28 Answer: about $125, 913 5. Approximately 5% of all claims would be below what amount? Z-score = -1.645 Answer: about $64,458
Image of page 13
Page 14 MODULE 3 Module 3: Discrete Probability Distributions In this module, students will learn about discrete probability distributions. They will compute value and standard deviation of a probability distribution and use this information to understand how much an insurance company might need to pay out if a hurricane hits Happy Shores. Content Learning Objectives Through the use of historical data about hurricanes and Happy Shores, students will be able to do the following: ± Estimate probabilities based on historical empirical data. ± Construct a probability distribution (probability model) for a discrete situation. ± Compute and interpret the expected value of a discrete probability distribution. ± Compute and interpret the standard deviation of a discrete probability distribution. Contextual Learning Objectives Using the content, students will be able to do the following: ± Estimate probabilities of different level storms hitting Happy Shores based on historical data. ± Find the expected damage a hurricane may cause along with the standard deviation. This will be done for each category of storm and neighborhood within Happy Shores. Common Core State Standards for Mathematics Using Probability to Make Decisions (S-MD) ± Calculate expected values and use them to solve problems. 1. Define a random variable for a quantity of interest by assigning a numerical value to each event in a sample space; graph the corresponding probability distribution using graphical displays as for data distributions.
Image of page 14

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 15
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

0/0 PREVIEWS LEFT
Sign up to access 24/7 study resources for your classes

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern