Role-of-advocacy-against-child-labour.pdf

The multi disciplinary nature of the local committees

Info icon This preview shows pages 24–26. Sign up to view the full content.

awareness. The multi-disciplinary nature of the local committees enabled its members and participants to share experiences and was an effective strategy to build capacity for addressing child labour. Apart from ensuring sustainability at the local level, the strategy facilitated mainstreaming of child labour at the district level, especially at the planning stage. 7 ILO (2008), Good practices in Combating Child Labour in Kenya: A Case Study of Busia, Maragua, Siaya and Suba Districts (2006 – 2008), p. 4. 8 Ibid p. 4 9 ILO (2006: Emerging Good Practices on Action to Combat Child Domestic Labour in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, p. 17.
Image of page 24

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

CMI REPORT THE ROLE OF ADVOCACY AGAINST CHILD LABOUR 2015: 2 17 5.2 At District Level The accomplishment here is demonstrated by this quote from the external evaluators: An interesting dimension of this setup is made up of 90% government employees (on payroll) and thus there is assurance of continuity and sustainability. As well, issues of child labour are mainstreamed in local government planning and resource allocation. The remaining 10% is made up of civil society organizations working in the area so as to allow information sharing, avoidance of duplication and sharing of resources. 10 The reviewers saw this process as enhancing sustainability because the district officials already made aware of the child labour problem would be more likely to address child labour as they address other development issues in a district. The reviewers saw child labour being mainstreamed at the district level during planning and resource allocation. Also, it was noted that the maximum use of resources was made when activities at the district level were well coordinated. Given the fact that education officers were responsible in the district child labour committees, information obtained on the weakness in the education system was able to reach the district faster and action taken immediately. Decentralization was seen to be working well. Teachers and parents made up the school committee, which was responsible for school-based income-generating activities (IGAs). ANPPCAN, on the other hand, was responsible for capacity-building of these committees through training, ongoing consultation and reporting. This, the reviewers found to be good practice. The establishment of school-based IGAs managed by the schools and the parents was considered a good practice because the income accrued from the efforts was used to keep poor children in school by supporting children from poor and vulnerable families. In some situations, the money was also used to build classrooms for children, which increased retention. Thus, children being turned away from school to collect school fees were stopped as the established IGAs played that role. The systems created after awareness-raising were able not only to continue advocacy work at district and community levels, but also to monitor child labour in a district. These systems were able to pool resources to address child labour in their respective departments and organizations. They were able to participate in all the reviews of legislation and policies. The observation by some authors was thus
Image of page 25
Image of page 26
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.
  • Spring '17
  • Districts of Kenya, Nairobi, Child labour, Ministry of Labour

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern