imported 59100 MT of lauric oils in September this year 323 lower than

Imported 59100 mt of lauric oils in september this

This preview shows page 14 - 16 out of 32 pages.

imported 59,100 MT of lauric oils in September this year, 32.3% lower than September year-earlier at 87,300 MT. Coconut oil accounted for 61.3% of the total with 36,200 MT (53,700 MT year-ago), while palm kernel oil comprised the remaining 38.7% with 22,900 MT (33,600 MT). The decline in lauric oil import was shared by both oils with coconut oil contracting 32.6% and palm kernel dwindling by 31.8%. Top lauric oil supplier during the month was Malaysia which was responsible for 54.8% of total at 32,400 MT, of which 22,800 MT (33,600 MT) was palm kernel oil and 9,600 MT (800 MT) was coconut oil. Supply from the Philippines totaled 26,500 MT (44,600 MT) consisting only of coconut oil. This contributed 44.8% to total lauric oil offtake. No import was reported from Indonesia during the month but record show purchase of 5,000 MT palm kernel oil at the same time last year. Import from other countries totaled 200 MT of which 100 MT (3,300 MT) was coconut oil and 100 MT (100 MT) was palm kernel oil. Cumulative January-September figure stood at 691,600 MT, exceeding by 18.5 % a comparable year earlier period total at 583,600 MT. Coconut oil at 450,600 MT grew significantly by 32.3% from 328,200 MT; while palm kernel oil at 241,000 MT dropped by 5.6% from 255,400 MT. Philippine shipment
Background image
Page: COCOMMUNITY, VOL. XLI NO. 1, 1 January 201113of coconut oil at 379,400 MT (217,000 MT) was responsible for 54.8% of total imported lauric oil and 84.2% of total coconut oil delivery. PHILIPPINES BIOTECHNOLOGY FIRM HOPES TO CASH IN ON HIGH VALUE CROPS "An anti-pain enzyme called bromelain processed from the pineapple stem is worth $20,000 per gram, and because only micrograms are used in a capsule, there are millions of dollars in a gram," says Danilo Managaya, President and CEO of Secura International, a 100 percent Filipino Biotechnology Company. Along with papain, bromelain is also a major ingredient in meat tenderizers, most of which are used in households. The way Managaya computes it, only one kilo of bromelain powder is produced from 21 tons of stems harvested from one-half hectare of pineapples. And only one gram of pharmaceutical-grade powder is produced from that one kilo. Bromelain capsules, sourced from India and China, are already sold over the counter in the United States and Europe, he says. Managaya, a Chemical Engineer Graduate of the Cebu Institute of Technology, is positioning for that highly lucrative niche, and is in the early stages of negotiations with Del Monte Philippines to supply the pineapple stems and to go into a joint venture in building a $20-million processing plant in Mindanao. The papaine, which breaks down protein to peptide for easy ingestion, is worth from P2,750 a liter for high-grade feed. Low-grade papaine, used for example in cosmetics, sells for P1,000 a liter. Managaya also has big plans to more than double the P50,000 per hectare per year income that coconut farmers now earn to P120,000. He plans to lease their coconut farms and plant naphyr grass in between the trees.
Background image
Image of page 16

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture