B. "The Nation's Two Crime Measures," U. S. Department of Justice
1. How does the FBI produce the UCR? IN what ways is the reliability of the UCR
subject to question?
2. How does the NCVS complement the UCR program?
3. What are the four differences between the UCR and the NCVS?
4. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the two programs?
C. "Crime Decline in Context," by Richard Rosenfeld
1. How has the crime rate changed in the last two decades? How do the changes
vary across population groups?
2. How did changing urban drug markets affect the homicide rate. How have
changes in marriage affected homicide rates?
3. In what ways has the criminal justice system contributed to the decline in crime?
4. What the relationship between employment and crime? How do the ideas of
"dislocation," collective efficacy," and "code of the streets," help us to better
understand crime patterns?
D. “On Being Sane in Insane Places,” by David Rosenhan