5 the canadian dollar is initially at a foreign

Info icon This preview shows pages 4–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
5. The Canadian dollar is initially at a foreign exchange rate of $.50 per pazooza. If the dollar appreciates by 20% against the pazooza and then depreciates by 20% against the pazooza, what is the final net effect on the exchange rate, expressed in pazoozas per dollar? 6. The Canadian dollar is initially at a foreign exchange rate of $.50 per pazooza. If the dollar depreciates by 20% against the pazooza and then appreciates by 20% against the pazooza, what is the final net effect on the exchange rate, expressed in pazoozas per dollar? 7. The small country of Minisculia has a fixed daily total supply of capital ( K ) equal to 360 machine-days, and a fixed daily total supply of labour ( L ) equal to 120 labour- days, both of which are fully employed. It uses only K and L in combination to pro- duce only two goods: Apples ( A ) and Blankets ( B ). Initially, the K/L ratio in the Blanket sector is 4 machine-days/labour-day, and the K/L ratio in the Apple sector is 2.4 machine-days/labour-day. (a) Initially, how many workers are employed in the Blanket sector? (b) Because of an increase in the wage rate, both sectors adopt a higher K/L ratio: 14/3 in the Blanket sector, and 8/3 in the Apple sector. Now how many workers are employed in the Blanket sector? (c) Suppose that the K/L ratios in the two sectors are the same as in (a), but that total available capital has increased to 432 machine-days. Now how many workers are employed in the Blanket sector? M7-4 MATH MODULE 7: PROPORTIONS, WEIGHTS, AND PERCENTAGES
Image of page 4

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
8. Initially, 1 Canadian dollar exchanges for 40 pazoozas, and 1 pazooza = 5 zlotniks. Then the dollar appreciates by 50% against the pazooza, and the zlotnik depreciates by 20% in terms of pazoozas. (a) By how much has the pazooza depreciated against the dollar? (b) By how much has the pazooza appreciated against the zlotnik? (c) Now how many zlotniks exchange for $1 Canadian? 9. “Half of Loonie Larry’s goods are 60% more expensive than Crazy Curly’s goods, and the other half are only 40% cheaper than at Crazy Curly’s. Therefore, shop at Crazy Curly’s!!” Suppose that both stores carry exactly the same products, and that you plan to buy one unit of each product, but have only enough time to shop at one of the two stores. At which of the two should you shop? [ Caution : this is a bit tricki- er than it looks.] MATH MODULE 7: PROPORTIONS, WEIGHTS, AND PERCENTAGES M7-5
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern