26. In 1861, what was the population in the North? __
27. Who was Lincoln’s 1stchoice to lead the Union Army?
28. How long did most people think the war would last?
29. Who did Lincoln appoint to be in charge of the Union Army?
30. What border-state city was occupied by the Union Army to keep it from seceding?
31 What did Lincoln do when the Chief Justice said he had exceeded his authority?
32. Where & when was the 1stmajor battle fought?
33. What was General Thomas Jackson’s nickname?
34. Who won the battle of Manassas (Bull Run)?
35. Who took over command of the Union Army (Army of the Potomac)?
36. What did the newspapers call McClellan?
37. Explain the 3-pronged strategy of Lincoln & McClellan (the “Anaconda Plan”).
38. What Union General was considered to be insane because he predicted that heavy casualties would be necessary?
39. What happened to Sullivan Ballou? Who was he writing to?