94%(47)44 out of 47 people found this document helpful
This preview shows page 4 - 6 out of 7 pages.
To Prepare Postan explanation of the physiological progression that occurs in anaphylactic shock. Then, describe the circumstances under which you would refer patients for emergency care versus treating as an outpatient. Finally, explain how the patient factors you selected might impact the process of anaphylactic shock.Anaphylactic ShockAnaphylactic shock is a type of distributive shock. It causes “an accelerated allergic reaction that causes a release of large amounts of histamine, producing marked vasodilation. Blood pressure falls because of the size of the vascular system exceeds the amount of blood in it even though blood volume is normal” (Hammer & McPhee, 2014, p. 316). “Anaphylactic shock results from widespread hypersensitivity reaction” (Huether & McCance, 2017, p. 643). This is triggered when a patient is exposed to an allergen. The most common allergens are; peanuts, shellfish, insect venoms, and medications like penicillin. “Severe initial symptoms develop rapidly, reaching peak severity within 3-30 minutes. There may occasionally be a quiescent period of 1–8 hours before the development of a second reaction (a biphasic response)” (Lockey MD, 2012, para. 2). As the allergen bound IgE degranulates the mast cells, they release a large amount of vasoactive and inflammatory
WK5PATHO5cytokines. This triggers an extensive immune and inflammatory response causing constriction of smooth muscle, including bronchospasms and laryngospasms.FactorsA patient can be genetically predisposed in which exposure to allergens causes a type I hypersensitivity reaction. Per Lockey (2012) food allergies and allergies to muscle relaxants are more common in females.To Treat or NotNow days at the beginning of every school year as part of the information packet, is a place to sign stating you agree to letting the school treat children in case of emergency; This would include anaphylactic shock. If I was in this situation with or without a permission slip I would use the epi-pen. Knowing this is a life or death situation and you only had minutes, it would be better to treat than have a dead child. It is important that if a family knows there is an allergy thatthey are educated, and wear an identifying bracelet so other around them are aware.